New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New iMac. Not impressed with the speed.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raider360

raider360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)

First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster
So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".

Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.
QUOTE Thanks
raider360

Mac Specs: Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".
Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.
Thanks for the suggestion. That is great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.
The CPU activity is really low on my system while browsing the web or doing some general tasks. I did a fresh install of the Snow Leopard from the Apple provided DVD, updated the system and only installed a few apps like Skype, Twitter and Flash from the Adobe web site.
Here is the screen: http://localhostr.com/file/IH6Zhbg/S...11.34%20PM.png

And what is "SW"?
QUOTE Thanks
raider360

Plus I ran Apple Diagnostics from the included DVD, checked my ram and my hard drive. Did the GeekBench with the result of 7200 (normal to any other mid2011 iMac).
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
raider360

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.
Thank you but I did that already. I guess it helped a little bit but not that much. How often I have to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider360 View Post
First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster
So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys
Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.

QUOTE Thanks
raider360

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.
Thanks. Gonna do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.
Done that. Thank you. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.
I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
raider360

I just came back from the store and played with the same iMac model as I have and with the i7 MBP. They have the same problems as I mentioned before. I guess Mac users are just used to them and the guy at the store told me that he have never even noticed that before...
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?
QUOTE Thanks
raider360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?
Nope, that is a completely naked system without any kind of stuff like that.

While I see that lag the CPU gets about 15-20% of usage, so that's seems like a render/driver/software issue to me. Nothing else is running in the background.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.
Adding memory to an iMac is a snap, however, I would seriously think twice about adding a SSD. Opening up an iMac and adding a SSD is something you need to look into before deciding that's what you want to do.

Take a look at the procedure for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at the iFixit: The free repair manual web site.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« used mac pro or new imac? | Connecting classic iMac to Broadband... »