Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Question New iMac. Not impressed with the speed.
    First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster
    So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
    Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
    The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

    I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

    Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

    Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys

  2. #2

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,462
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".

    Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    You should be saying "Hello Flash" and "Thank you, Adobe".
    Best I can suggest is to grab ClicktoFlash.
    Thanks for the suggestion. That is great find.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    I don't know - something sounds odd to me. The fact that you're seeing lag even with mundane actions isn't normal. Have you installed any SW that might be running in the background? I have a quad core iMac, i7, and I don't see any lag doing any of the activities you've described. I'd suggest taking a shot of your activity monitor and posting it in this thread - and if noone sees anything out of the norm - perhaps visiting the Apple Store. Increasing the RAM isn't a bad idea either.
    The CPU activity is really low on my system while browsing the web or doing some general tasks. I did a fresh install of the Snow Leopard from the Apple provided DVD, updated the system and only installed a few apps like Skype, Twitter and Flash from the Adobe web site.
    Here is the screen: http://localhostr.com/file/IH6Zhbg/S...11.34%20PM.png

    And what is "SW"?

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Plus I ran Apple Diagnostics from the included DVD, checked my ram and my hard drive. Did the GeekBench with the result of 7200 (normal to any other mid2011 iMac).

  6. #6

    robduckyworth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,971
    Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    Repair your disk permissions through Disk Utility.
    Thank you but I did that already. I guess it helped a little bit but not that much. How often I have to do this?

  8. #8

    robduckyworth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,971
    Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

  9. #9

    EvenStranger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    844
    Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.

  10. #10

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by raider360 View Post
    First of all, hello everyone and greetings from the Ukraine. I've been a long time reader and now a first time poster
    So I've finally bought my first Mac (iMac) few days ago and I love mostly everything about this computer, OSX, apps and the whole simplicity. But a few things have come out that I've never thought of.
    Sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag, f.e. when I click on the "Application" folder in the dock. It looks like a small render lag.
    The next thing is how Google Chrome runs on my system. When I try to load a heavy loaded page with a lot of flash banners it scrolls extremely slow, even after the whole page is loaded. I tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. Safari is the best one but there is still a noticeable lag. Mac AppStore runs pretty slow too while I do the long list scroll.

    I am kind of disappointed because I thought with that kind of a configuration that I have (Quad Core 2.5 GHz i5, 4 Gigs of RAM, AMD 6750 GPU), the system will scream! Comparing to Windows it looks like there are no GPU drivers installed, but my games still runs fine on a Mac (I played Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 with no problems).

    Should I say that's a software issue (Chrome/Flash/OSX) and maybe apps are not ready for the quad-core era?

    Sorry for the long post but hope you'll help me guys
    Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.


  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    not alot. every month or so. you could try doing a repair disk by booting from the install discs.
    Thanks. Gonna do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
    Since this is a new unit, and most of the issues appear to be network based, try this - open System Preferences->Network and click the gear icon at the bottom of the window. Select Set Service Order and make sure Ethernet and Airport are at the top of the list, Bluetooth and Firewire at the bottom. Apple typically lists Bluetooth at the top of the list, so all network requests attempt to pass through Bluetooth first, fail, and then move on to one of the other ports. By moving it to the bottom of the list, you lower its priority, hopefully speeding things up a little.
    Done that. Thank you. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Silly as it may sound, double the RAM. I have a Mid-2010 i3 iMac and it came with 4Gb of RAM. When I doubled it to 8 things suddenly became a lot snappier. These days with Apps like Safari, Mail, Handbrake and iTunes open the machine uses about 4Gb of RAM to run. The extra 4 makes the difference.
    I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    I just came back from the store and played with the same iMac model as I have and with the i7 MBP. They have the same problems as I mentioned before. I guess Mac users are just used to them and the guy at the store told me that he have never even noticed that before...

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Aug 31, 2009
    Posts
    304
    You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    Mid2011 iMac 21.5" (Quad Core i5 2.5 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6750 512Mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    You're not running antivirus, autosaving, keylogging and all sorts of other add-ons are you?
    Nope, that is a completely naked system without any kind of stuff like that.

    While I see that lag the CPU gets about 15-20% of usage, so that's seems like a render/driver/software issue to me. Nothing else is running in the background.

  15. #15

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,248
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I thought about doing that a little bit later. My wallet feels so light right now so my next buy would be a RAM and the SSD.
    Adding memory to an iMac is a snap, however, I would seriously think twice about adding a SSD. Opening up an iMac and adding a SSD is something you need to look into before deciding that's what you want to do.

    Take a look at the procedure for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at the iFixit: The free repair manual web site.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Really impressed with my new iMac
    By eliehass in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM
  2. New to imac not impressed so far
    By ruudiboy in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
  3. Very impressed with mac mini speed
    By Quantumweb in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 01:35 PM
  4. Impressed
    By bsatchmo in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 01:34 AM
  5. More and more impressed
    By Cloudane in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •