New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Problem with User Account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Serpents Den

Serpents Den is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The problem I'm having is with one of my Standard account only. Whenever I try to login the desktop doesn't fully load and if I click on anything it freezes up and will only allow me to shut down holding the power button.

I tried using the Disc Utility Verify Disc which showed everything was ok. I also ran the Repair Disc Permissions which reported it fixed multiple permissions and one warning that could not be repaired. I searched about the warning online and it appears it should not be a concern.

I was able to login to the problem account doing a Safe Boot but now I'm no longer able to login using Safe Boot?

Has any of you ran into this problem or know how to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Odds are it's a corrupt preference, since it's tied to a single account and repeatable. In the past, I have renamed the user's Library file to Library.old, forcing the OS to create a new Library file for the user. If the user's account then logs in normally, I would slowly add only the most necessary preferences back from the Library.old back into the Library. These could be mail preferences and attachments, bookmarks, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Serpents Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
Odds are it's a corrupt preference, since it's tied to a single account and repeatable. In the past, I have renamed the user's Library file to Library.old, forcing the OS to create a new Library file for the user. If the user's account then logs in normally, I would slowly add only the most necessary preferences back from the Library.old back into the Library. These could be mail preferences and attachments, bookmarks, etc.
Just noticed I was typing the wrong command to go into Safe Mode so I am able to load the standard account.

I don't use the Mac Mail program so that can be ruled out. How or where do I go to rename the corrupt user account?

Thanks for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To rename the user library file, navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/

And rename the library folder to Library.old

After that, follow the directions as given in the post by member EvenStranger.
QUOTE Thanks
Serpents Den

I tried but the user accounts won't allow me to change the users name. Is there something I'm not doing right or am I missing having to do something?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to calibrate? | Imac stuck on login »