Question Mac Pro - Problem with User Account
    I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The problem I'm having is with one of my Standard account only. Whenever I try to login the desktop doesn't fully load and if I click on anything it freezes up and will only allow me to shut down holding the power button.

I tried using the Disc Utility Verify Disc which showed everything was ok. I also ran the Repair Disc Permissions which reported it fixed multiple permissions and one warning that could not be repaired. I searched about the warning online and it appears it should not be a concern.

I was able to login to the problem account doing a Safe Boot but now I'm no longer able to login using Safe Boot?

Has any of you ran into this problem or know how to fix it?

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Odds are it's a corrupt preference, since it's tied to a single account and repeatable. In the past, I have renamed the user's Library file to Library.old, forcing the OS to create a new Library file for the user. If the user's account then logs in normally, I would slowly add only the most necessary preferences back from the Library.old back into the Library. These could be mail preferences and attachments, bookmarks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
    Odds are it's a corrupt preference, since it's tied to a single account and repeatable. In the past, I have renamed the user's Library file to Library.old, forcing the OS to create a new Library file for the user. If the user's account then logs in normally, I would slowly add only the most necessary preferences back from the Library.old back into the Library. These could be mail preferences and attachments, bookmarks, etc.
    Just noticed I was typing the wrong command to go into Safe Mode so I am able to load the standard account.

I don't use the Mac Mail program so that can be ruled out. How or where do I go to rename the corrupt user account?

Thanks for your help!!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To rename the user library file, navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/

And rename the library folder to Library.old

After that, follow the directions as given in the post by member EvenStranger.

I tried but the user accounts won't allow me to change the users name. Is there something I'm not doing right or am I missing having to do something?

Thread Information