New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

i3 iMac slower than C2D MacBook.

Thread Closed

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose! View Post
Well made a new account, and it won't connect through the ethernet cable, so turned on airport, put in the correct password and it just times out.

This is pretty embarrassingly bad, because theres no way I'm re-installing and they re-doing everything to setup it after a couple of months....this is like going back to Windows Vista. I haven't had to re-install either Windows 7 or 10.5(on my macbook) since i've had them, both nearly 3 years, yet Snow Leopard on the iMac breaks down after like 3 months ?
It's not normal for Snow Leopard to "break down". That flies in the face of the extensive experience of long-time Mac users here and everywhere. But **** does happen. Your hard drive may well be slowly failing and randomly corrupting critical files. We just don't know. You may have installed "something" or perhaps gotten MacDefender malware that is causing the trouble. We just don't know.

There's no need to "re-do" everything to setup your system again. You always have the option to migrate your user data from a backup when installing OS X and you are back to where you left off. Reinstalling/upgrading OS X is ridiculously easy.

At the moment, I suggest testing out the drive thoroughly. Try Smart Utility to run a comprehensive check of your drive. It's not obvious how to do this, but in the window, by the "Tests" frame at the bottom, click on "More Info" and you'll get a pop-up with testing options.

If your drive checks out, then you can try partitioning your drive and installing a virgin copy of OS X to that partition, create a new user, and then log into that and see if you have problems. If you do, then you have a hardware issue. If not, something is corrupt on your main partition.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
Goose!

Goose! is an unknown at this point

btw, it was a sarcastic comment. your opinion is irrelevant, the i7 is the best thing money can buy, everywhere proves it except your dodgy computers.
Goose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
There's no need to "re-do" everything to setup your system again. You always have the option to migrate your user data from a backup when installing OS X and you are back to where you left off. Reinstalling/upgrading OS X is ridiculously easy.
I wish I could run out and buy another back up, i really do. But as it stands I have two which I use to make sure 50% of my boot drive is always free and they are nearly full....and it's just tiresome copying stuff endlessly, especially when it's usb2.0.

meh, I dunno what i'll do. I'll check a few other forums, see if anything comes up.
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wish I could run out and buy another back up, i really do. But as it stands I have two which I use to make sure 50% of my boot drive is always free and they are nearly full....and it's just tiresome copying stuff endlessly, especially when it's usb2.0.

meh, I dunno what i'll do. I'll check a few other forums, see if anything comes up.
Keeping half your boot drive free is rather extreme. But whatever floats your boat. Feel free to check other forums, but asking for advice and then ignoring it because you don't like it isn't going to inspire anyone to try and keep helping you. Have a nice day.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Just bring it in and have it looked at...simple.
Goose!

Advice given....

Check stuff on start up and see if anythings running in background - I did it.
Apple Hardware test - I did it.
New user - I did it.

I gave you a pretty clear valid reason to as to why I can't backup and re-install, which in itself is extreme anyway. But whatever, no need to throw a hissy.
Goose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codda View Post
Just bring it in and have it looked at...simple.
Well if "here" is an apple store. Then well it would be cheaper just to buy another external and just re-install since the stores charge daylight robbery prices.
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Advice given....

Check stuff on start up and see if anythings running in background - I did it.
Apple Hardware test - I did it.
New user - I did it.

I gave you a pretty clear valid reason to as to why I can't backup and re-install, which in itself is extreme anyway. But whatever, no need to throw a hissy.
I'm not throwing a hissy fit, but you are ignoring advice that you CAN and should do… i.e. test your drive, partition your drive and try a clean install on that, etc. You don't HAVE to take any advice, but we certainly don't HAVE to offer any either.

------
------
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Well if "here" is an apple store. Then well it would be cheaper just to buy another external and just re-install since the stores charge daylight robbery prices.
You said your machine was 3 mo. old...Your under warranty...If you have an obvious problem....they'll find it.
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Going back to the original post rather than this irrelevant CPU discussion, doing an Onyx rebuild of the permissions and such, as well as just letting it run its tasks would be the best idea. Onyx is free and absolutely works wonders. I'm with you regarding keeping half of the hard drive free, I do the same here, especially since a computer starts to slow down once a hard drive has about 20% left to use. Another good program out there, Drive Warrior, can tell you if your hard drive is truly failing. But the main thing we should be asking you is, what exactly are you doing with your computer which could cause this slowdown? Also, was it always like this? If not, what was the last thing you did before it started acting up? If so, then you should have brought it into Apple or called them, plain and simple. We here can only provide our advice in any situation, we only want to help.

-Matt
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
It's just something i have experienced, those reviews you have to take with a grain of salt, and develop your own opinions from doing tests.
Quote:
Well every so many years they come out with new processors to replace the old, and increasing the speeds of RAM, to DDR3 with the newer i's. The C2Ds are still being put into machines, maybe not as many Macs, but Dell is still dishing them out in their business class ones, which i work with everyday, and they are quite powerful compared to the i5 I am typing on now. Now not everything that comes out will be better than the old, it all comes down to the user, my opinion is obviously different than yours. I for one am still using a Palm PDA instead of getting one of those iPod touches or iPhones which are extremely sluggish compared to my Palm because i actually use it for work, and not *****ing around. It all comes down to you, if you feel the need to upgrade eevry day when something comes out, that's up to you to waste money like that. I like to keep things until they literally die, but that's just me.

You are so far off base it's not even funny. My i3 iMac is significantly faster than my C2D Macbook at pretty much everything. Running everything from Geekbench to Cinebench to XBench to Handbrake to MS Word to Adobe PS 5 in the real world the i3 wins hands down. Period.

Quote:
Going back to the original post rather than this irrelevant CPU discussion
You're the one who made it part of the discussion with plainly false statements.

Not sure where you are getting your bogus info from but you need to get a grip.

Sounds to me like the OP has some hardware issues, likely the HDD. I would recommend making sure the RAM is all showing up and working properly. A bad module/lack of RAM could cause this issue as well.

Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Quote:
Well the i3 being slower than the Core2Duo is expected since it's a lesser processor compared to the i7, which is comparable to the C2D. I know the architecture is completely different, but in terms of the level of quality, i3s are down there where Core Duos were. I did a test with a new MBP with an i7 and my C2D, both with very similar processing power, and created an image in Photoshop that generally takes awhile on mine. The newer i7 was actually slower in processing time than my C2D.
... What planet are you on? There's no way a core 2 duo is better than a quad core sandy bridge i7 desktop processor. I assume to come to that conclusion you must be running a Core 2 Extreme Super Intense Black Edition only one ever created chip? Or maybe you just switched your sentences around. At any rate, no matter how you look at it, its wrong. But for fun, lets compare. Core 2 Duo Extreme Yorkfield versus i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K. For one, the TDP on the extreme is somewhere around 130-150 while sandy comes in at a cool 95. True, most all other core 2 duos are actually lower TDP than sandy bridge but we're comparing the top end processing beasts here. And sandy bridge actually has some low power chips that will blow away core 2 duos. Next up, cores. Duo means 2. any i7 sandy bridge you blink at is 4. how can 2 be better than 4? Not to mention Hyperthreading creating basically 8 cores which core 2 duos aren't even capable of. Clock frequency is relative since both can be overclocked, but the i7 can be clocked higher and more stable on just air. I think what ruffled my feathers here is the idea that Intel and other companies just create new stuff and people buy it because it's new. That is just is ridiculous. Though I'm sure some do, the majority will shun and move to competition that actually creates better products. People buy the new processors because they are better. I don't know what types of empirical data you actually have but I haven't yet run in to any major review sites, magazines, or enthusiasts touting the glory of core 2 duos over sandy bridge chips. Here's an actual comparison taking the opposite stance and explaining the i7's superiority, and thats only on the first generation i7's Intel Core i7 vs Intel Core 2 Duo | Pathik Shah Don't get me wrong. Core 2 duos are great an all, I actually have one in my Macbook Pro right now : ) But if I had a chance to go swap out for a new i5 or i7 sandy I'd switch it in a heartbeat.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Seems this thread has run it's course.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« Boot mac Mini 1.1 from memory stick | how to calibrate? »