New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 HD swap question


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
zakmichaels

 
Member Since: Jun 27, 2011
Posts: 2
zakmichaels is on a distinguished road

zakmichaels is offline
Greetings all. My GF has a 1.6G (PCI) Power Mac G5 that will no longer boot up. I did some troubleshooting on it and am pretty sure it's the logic board (I'm very PC saavy but do not know that much about Macs). I have found a reasonably priced used 2.0G dual processor (PCI-X) Power Mac G5. So my question is - will the 2.0G G5 boot up and function properly using the hard drive of the 1.6G system if I swap it into that unit (meaning installing the old system's HD as is into the new system without changing anything on it)?

Thanks in advance,
Zak
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,890
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmichaels View Post
Greetings all. My GF has a 1.6G (PCI) Power Mac G5 that will no longer boot up. I did some troubleshooting on it and am pretty sure it's the logic board (I'm very PC saavy but do not know that much about Macs). I have found a reasonably priced used 2.0G dual processor (PCI-X) Power Mac G5. So my question is - will the 2.0G G5 boot up and function properly using the hard drive of the 1.6G system if I swap it into that unit (meaning installing the old system's HD as is into the new system without changing anything on it)?
It should. However, I would download and apply the most recent Update Combo for your version of OS X to be absolutely certain all drivers for that new machine are in place.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
zakmichaels

 
Member Since: Jun 27, 2011
Posts: 2
zakmichaels is on a distinguished road

zakmichaels is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
It should. However, I would download and apply the most recent Update Combo for your version of OS X to be absolutely certain all drivers for that new machine are in place.
Thanks for the reply...

Just to be clear - her current system will not boot at all and, if I am interpreting your comment correctly, I may run into issues getting the new system to boot since there may be missing drivers seeing as I wouldn't be able to apply the latest Update combo before booting up the new system. If so, does Mac have a "safe mode" to boot up to similar to that in the PC world so that I could have at least minimal functionality in order to get any driver updates I would need?

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,890
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmichaels View Post
Thanks for the reply...

Just to be clear - her current system will not boot at all and, if I am interpreting your comment correctly, I may run into issues getting the new system to boot since there may be missing drivers seeing as I wouldn't be able to apply the latest Update combo before booting up the new system. If so, does Mac have a "safe mode" to boot up to similar to that in the PC world so that I could have at least minimal functionality in order to get any driver updates I would need?

Cheers.
No no… I did mean install the Update Combo after moving it. It should work… I have a bootable USB thumb drive that at one point I moved around between a Mac Pro, Mac mini, and a MacBook, and all booted fine from it. It probably shouldn't be "necessary" to re-run the Update after moving the drive. It looks like both models came out at the same time, so it's highly unlikely the drivers aren't there already. I'm advising it purely as a precautionary measure. There's certainly no reason not to do it.

And yes, there is a Safe Mode.
Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

EDIT: Just to elaborate… an installation of OS X should already have all the drivers available for any Mac that version is compatible with and switches to them on startup if need be.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« iMac internal HDD | Apple Hardware Test »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
The QUESTION Game ToddG Schweb's Lounge 159 08-15-2007 05:25 PM
Boot-Up Question Mark Folder Impending Doom Question. bingwalker OS X - Operating System 3 07-10-2007 05:19 AM
Ask 'me' a question... eric Schweb's Lounge 22 01-12-2007 06:33 AM
Video production question macinsandiego Movies and Video 4 11-17-2004 07:39 AM
Postscript question battleangel444 OS X - Operating System 2 07-09-2004 12:45 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?