New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Refurbished iMac 27-inch Vs new iMac 21

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrO

DrO is on a distinguished road

Dear members

I am currently using a new 21 inches iMac 2011 (sandy bridge entry level) as my main computer, but I am thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished 27 inches one (Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor) the screen size of the 21 inches one is ok but I feel the 27 size is nice.
I had initially purchased the new 21 inches,thinking that it would be good to have extra performance but since I only use word, outlook and safari for studying and writing. I believe I may not benefit from the extra performance (i cannot notice any difference between my macbook air and new 21 imac performance since i just use word, safari and outlook) and i may take advantage of the big screen of the 27 inches iMac (just see or open many apps at once) I never play games or do design. I like the size of the 27 inches as well. The specs are: Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
What do you think of my reasoning , it would be a sensible switch (I need to pay only 150 to get the refurbished 27 inches one)

Your views would be appreciated

Omar
QUOTE Thanks
DrO

DrO is on a distinguished road

I have been working all day in my new iMac 21, and the size has been ok, I ca see my 2 documents without any problems, I am now strongly considering to stick with the current I own because my desk is not massive as well and I can sit close to the screen
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Dear members

I am currently using a new 21 inches iMac 2011 (sandy bridge entry level) as my main computer, but I am thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished 27 inches one (Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor) the screen size of the 21 inches one is ok but I feel the 27 size is nice.
I had initially purchased the new 21 inches,thinking that it would be good to have extra performance but since I only use word, outlook and safari for studying and writing. I believe I may not benefit from the extra performance (i cannot notice any difference between my macbook air and new 21 imac performance since i just use word, safari and outlook) and i may take advantage of the big screen of the 27 inches iMac (just see or open many apps at once) I never play games or do design. I like the size of the 27 inches as well. The specs are: Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
What do you think of my reasoning , it would be a sensible switch (I need to pay only 150 to get the refurbished 27 inches one)

Your views would be appreciated

Omar
For what you are using it for, IMO, the 21 is fine. Both of mine are 21's, and personally, would not want a 27 unless I was doing editing, etc. I use the same basic programs you do.
QUOTE Thanks
Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

Bigger is always nicer, but I'd bet money the 27" will be louder due to a lot more screen backlighting which needs cooling. I was disappointed going from a dead silent 17" to a 21" which while not loud is definitely audible in my quiet house. Try and check that out-if it seems quiet, go for it!
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

i went from a 24 inch monitor on my old windows system to the 27 inch i7 imac. how the imac is great i used to have a 24 and a 21 on my desk now i only have the imac and am much happier.

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
Bigger is always nicer, but I'd bet money the 27" will be louder due to a lot more screen backlighting which needs cooling. I was disappointed going from a dead silent 17" to a 21" which while not loud is definitely audible in my quiet house. Try and check that out-if it seems quiet, go for it!
I am a little confused. I own the 27" 2010 and I do not believe I have herd it once. except for the hard drive noise.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

For what you are doing, you won't have any performance issues with the older 27" model. I'm using the last-gen 21" iMac and it's great. I would have gone for the 27" model, but I would have had less than a mm of space between the top of the iMac and the bottom of my desk's hutch. So long you are sure you'd prefer the extra screen space and that it will be a good fit physically for your environment, I'd say go for it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ethernet connection not working, no fifth light | Hard drive partition issues »