New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Data Cable Surge Protection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevn

kevn is on a distinguished road

I am using a BACK-UPS with my iMac. In addition to plugging the computer and router power into the BACK-UPS, I have an ethernet cable plugged into a router port, and the router data cable plugged in to the BACK-UPS surge protector port. The cable modem data cable is plugged into the BACK-UPS.

Is it a good idea to use the UPS data surge protector port? Will it slow down connection speed, or cause other problems?

thanks, Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, that's what it's for and it will not slow down the connection speed. I have my iMac hooked to an UPS, however, I can't use the data port because I have Verizon FIOS.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I also recommend using the data port protection if possible. I have seen lightning strikes travel across the cable modem, down the ethernet cable and fry the ethernet port on an attached computer.

One thing most people don't realize - you should replace your surge strip every few years. Most strips, after a few years of surges, brown-outs, and spikes (oh my!), are little more than extension cords.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

We have had to replace 3 laptops last week due to storms in the area. 2 of them were killed by the Ethernet connection to their router, which was not protected. They lost their cable modem, router and laptop. We always recommend our users to always use some kind of surge protection. Most power strips that are cheap do not offer true surge protection. Make sure to look on the boxes for a warranty label stating what is covered.

Back-UPS are great protection and I have 5 in my house for all my electronics. My modem and router are hooked up to one and it will offer me 6 hours runtime before the batteries go dead. My laptop will run on its own battery for up to 9 depending on settings.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I also recommend using the data port protection if possible. I have seen lightning strikes travel across the cable modem, down the ethernet cable and fry the ethernet port on an attached computer.
I can verify that. I had a lightning strike hit across the street from me and it took out a router, 2 TV sets, an ethernet port, and the controller board in my home air conditioner unit. Over $1000 in damage.

My son's home in Atlanta Georgia was hit by lightning and it took out everything electronic in his home. In his case, insurance took care of it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac graphics card support | G4 will not turn on monitor »