New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 20" Won't Boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brainblink

brainblink is on a distinguished road

Hey,

My iMac won't boot up. It makes a few noises and lights up but it wont start. I just recorded a quick video to show you what happens.

Problem With iMac

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
-Dom
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Yes keep it away from YouTube lol!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And stay away from the red "stuff" you're drinking. Hey Harry, do you think we've been taken....
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Looks like it Chscag! What should we do?

One post and it's a comedy.
QUOTE Thanks
brainblink

I just had to put it up! Thanks for watching it and not banning me
QUOTE Thanks
webdevii

webdevii is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblink View Post
Hey,

My iMac won't boot up. It makes a few noises and lights up but it wont start. I just recorded a quick video to show you what happens.

Problem With iMac

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
-Dom
I have got a similar issue with my iMac 27" Twins, do you see a white screen at all? or is it like its not getting power. Mine is powers up using the option key, I select the Install DVD to begin the install, then I go to a white screen with the gray apple in the center all usb devices go dark, no lights and it can sit there for hours, I let it sit 4 two (2) hours just to see if it was a patients thing. Its not.

Give me a bit more info on the state of your mac, example:
1. Is there an OS installed?
2. Has there ever been Windows on your machine.
3 Are you sure your DVD drive is healthy and good.
This is most critical as if you have a weak dvd it may play videos or movies When the machine is running, but for some reason if the drive is week most of the time 9 out of 10 it is too week to perform an install.

I run into this all the time with PC's and on occasion with a mac.
If you have another mac that runs, Make an image and restore it to a USB flash Drive and try installing it that way, I did just to prove it worked on my working Mac Pro Quad, Still didnt solve my problem with my iMac however.

I am cutting my losses, swallowing my crow, and heading by way of the Mac Genius store tomorrow. I have both of these 27" iMacs that are less than 8 months old and still under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
brainblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdevii View Post
I have got a similar issue with my iMac 27" Twins, do you see a white screen at all? or is it like its not getting power. Mine is powers up using the option key, I select the Install DVD to begin the install, then I go to a white screen with the gray apple in the center all usb devices go dark, no lights and it can sit there for hours, I let it sit 4 two (2) hours just to see if it was a patients thing. Its not.

Give me a bit more info on the state of your mac, example:
1. Is there an OS installed?
2. Has there ever been Windows on your machine.
3 Are you sure your DVD drive is healthy and good.
This is most critical as if you have a weak dvd it may play videos or movies When the machine is running, but for some reason if the drive is week most of the time 9 out of 10 it is too week to perform an install.

I run into this all the time with PC's and on occasion with a mac.
If you have another mac that runs, Make an image and restore it to a USB flash Drive and try installing it that way, I did just to prove it worked on my working Mac Pro Quad, Still didnt solve my problem with my iMac however.

I am cutting my losses, swallowing my crow, and heading by way of the Mac Genius store tomorrow. I have both of these 27" iMacs that are less than 8 months old and still under warranty.
Thanks for your help, but it wasn't really broken. Just a little sketch that I made. I thought people on the forum might enjoy it
QUOTE Thanks
brainblink

On a serious note, for some reason my internet connection times out but all the other computer/laptops in the house remain connected. Does anyone know the cause?

Any help is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Film freezes off Mac HD and DVD | can't switch back to windows »