New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

I want an iMac, but I also want a SSD and cannot spend 2,000 for both

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Diego Petrucci

Diego Petrucci is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

I'm an owner of a White MacBook (I think early '09) and I'd like to upgrade to a desktop Mac, since I don't really have huge portability needs. I already own an iPhone and an iPad, so 99% of the times I'm out my needs are covered. In the other 1% I can borrow my current MacBook from my parents (they'll get it when I'll upgrade).

So, everyone's talking about SSDs and how they are mind-blowing super-duper fast and game-changing. Since I'm going to buy an iMac, I took a look at the Apple site and saw that the cheapest option is the 1500 iMac + 500 SSD. I don't really have that much money, I can spend 1500 total.

So, I was thinking of buying a non-Apple SSD and install it in the iMac.

1. Is this possibile?
2. Is this possibile for someone that has almost never touched hardware in his life? (let's say I'm more expert on software, not a newbie)
3. Is there any way to buy an "external" SSD and use it as an external hard-drive?

Thank you. Keep in mind that my knowledge in SSDs and hardware is limited.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Just get the regular iMac with the 7200 rpm Hard drive. It's more than fast enough and you can save your €€ for when the offerings stabilize a bit and costs come down. No, it's not an easy upgrade to add an internal drive of any kind to the iMac - but then again - you'll probably find the iMac fast enough as is, but if not, it's doable, just not for the faint of heart.

Yes - you can use an SSD externally - and by the end of the summer there should be Thunderbolt equipped SSDs available.

Save your euros and get the fastest iMac you can afford and equip it with a 7200rpm drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic mouse switched vertical axis | New iMac / Old iMac »