New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro 1.1 upgrade or New One?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

G5 Guy

G5 Guy is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm rather new here but have been lurking these forums for years so I decided to join

I have got a bit of problem.

Recently my Mac Pro 1.1 2.66Ghz was knocked off the table, pretty much rendering the case destroyed(rivets popped etc) and the one memory riser cards slot cracked under the impact, HDD is has also failed.

So my household insurance have checked the damage etc and asked me to get a quote for the cost of repairing it, thing is I live in South Africa so it's very expensive to even own a Mac here. I got the quote but they said it's not worth getting a new case, HDD and Logic Board and should just look at the new one.

Thing is, the cost of fixing it and getting a new one is virtually the same but I can only get the Single Quad 2.8Ghz, I already have a 5870 which was used in my 1.1 so Gcard isn't an issue. HDD's are cheap and the main feature I liked about the 1.1 is the CPU Upgrade feature which I was just about to upgrade the processors in it to 2, 2.66Ghz Quads to make it a Octo core.

Is it worth getting a new one or getting, basically a new 1.1 with the upgraded CPU? Is the Octo core faster than the single 2.8Ghz in the new ones?

I'm so stuck as to what to do..

Any help guys would make this frustrating situation a lot easier!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Honest to gosh, the Mac Pros are going to be getting a major upgrade soon. If possible, I'd hang on a bit:

Apple docs point to 16-core Mac Pro with unannounced Xeons | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Depends on how deep the pockets are and amazed the Mac Pro could be on a table as they are that heavy. Have upgraded my Mac Pro to Quad Core with X5355 processors, SSD, ATI Radeon HD4870 etc., but that is not a cheap way to go. Saw a matched pair of X5355 2.66GHz CPU's yesterday for sale at AUD$650.00, about US$690.00, so if you can afford it wait for the new release.

Suggest going back and getting that quote regardless of what repairer had to say. Insurance company will not cough up without a quote.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Hard Drive Falure? | FaceTime: There is no connected camera »