New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cleaning the glass screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fenanorn

Fenanorn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" 2.5GHz i5 4Ghz RAM, Radeon 6750 512GDDR5

What do you guys recommend I use to clean my screen? Windex non ammonia since it's glass?
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Since you look like you own an iMac, a cleaning cloth should have come with it. The Manual, which you can download from Apple's site, says to dampen that cloth with water, and that's all. If you don't have that cloth, a soft, micro-fiber cloth dampened with water will be fine.

I believe that it also says to remove all cables first, however that I do not remember for sure. Do REMOVE the power cord though.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Since you look like you own an iMac, a cleaning cloth should have come with it.
Not any more. It's no longer included in the box.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I know!!
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Whoops.....Didn't even look at the stuff I got with the iMac I just bought. Just read the NEW Manual.....use a damp, lint-free cloth with ALL CORDS REMOVED. Do not spray anything directly on the screen.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

What would we do without owner's manuals?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
What would we do without owner's manuals?
Remember when they used to supply those huge tomes with all new p.c.'s ?

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
Remember when they used to supply those huge tomes with all new p.c.'s ?
I remember my Commodore VIC-20 came with several books - probably 500+ pages total. One book was the user manual, another was the BASIC programming guide. Then there were a couple additional books that I never used much.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I still have a good chuckle about the person that thought it was a mouse pad...
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Use something like iKlear Apple Polish and a microfiber towel, unless you want to take the chance on damaging the finish on your iMac

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
Use something like iKlear Apple Polish and a microfiber towel, unless you want to take the chance on damaging the finish on your iMac
Don't use any chemicals. Stick to water and lint free soft cloth. Water is all you need. Microfiber clothes are good but don't press/rub too hard in one place.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have been using this for years without damage to any of my screens. Monster Cable - TV Screen Cleaning Kit - TV CLNKT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC g3 400Mhz upgrade | Best way to migrate? »