New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Y'all are gonna get tired of me:)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tawcat

tawcat is on a distinguished road

Switching from PC to Mac I thought for sure the files for programs I used would be compatible

I use the Avery Label program for all my address label databases, well, surprise, surprise, the Avery program for Mac does not recognize the Avery for PC files

Is there a database program that I can use for this purpose? Silly me, not ever giving it a second thought, figured for sure as long as I used the same program, the files would be recognized. And that was the only file I had of my addresses. Stupid me didn't print a hard copy, so basically all my addresses are lost

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Housekat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27 iMac 2.93

Well, worst comes to worst, use bootcamp and install windows, than install your program and copy the file with the addresses, than make hard copies and find a solution to the mac side

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Does your Avery program for the PC support exporting in other formats? If so the Mac version, or some other program, may read the exported files.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Have a look at Avery's DesignPro for Mac:-

Quicksearch | Avery

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

A word to the wise; give your threads a title that relates directly to the topic you're writing about. That's a big help for people perusing the list with the intent of helping out on topics they know something about.
QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

toMACsh: Sorry, I will do better.

harryb: I d/l the Avery Design Pro for Mac, however, it does not recognize the file ext???? So I ended up running my mini-netbook, d/l DP and printed the label info. I'll have to manually enter it into a new program. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but it appears that I cannot create a label base that exceeds a single page of labels.

So for one of my short db's which includes like 50 labels I had to create two files to store the them. Looks like I'll be on the market for a good address label db program.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are the addresses/contacts that you need to print in the built in Address Book program on your Mac? If so it can print the address information to fit any one of several Avery label templates.

QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Sly: That would be no. I maintain several mailing lists, i.e. family, Christmas, hobby, etc. Seems if I use the Mac address book and create multiple groups, I end up with addresses that I don't need to be showing up in the email list. Does that make sense?

I'm gonna play around with "address book" and see what I come up with.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Makes perfect sense. It can be a little tricky getting groups the way that you need them. Were these "regular" groups or were you using the Smart Groups feature?

QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Well I tried with regular groups, but then attempted (quickly) a smart group. So I really haven't played enough yet, so I'm gonna fool with it.

Hate to buy a third party db program for this purpose.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

If the members of the various groups follow some type of pattern Smart Groups may well do the trick. I was looking at your previous post and I might have a solution that just occurred to me as I was typing this post. I'll post back with results in a bit.

QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I was going to add this to the other post but it seems like it will take a few more lines to explain. I tested this with my contact list (not that large) and it seems to work assuming the labels you want to use are supported.

1. In the Mac Address Book make sure it is set to show you the "Notes" field on each card.

2. In the Notes field for a contact enter a word that describes which group they should belong to Christmas, Hobby, etc., You can have more than one word here but I think they need to be separated by commas.

3. Now you should be able to build different smart groups based upon these criteria. It's possible, for example to find only people who belong to both the Christmas and hobby groups.

If you haven't used Smart Groups much this article might help ATPM 16.03 - How To: Making Your Mac as Smart as Its Owner.

QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Sly, thanks so much that info. I'll give it a shot and will post back. A couple of days I'm sure.
QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Sly: Well by gosh, by golly, by gee, it worked!!!!

And yes, if I had two tag words in notes, it added the contact to each group. Which is fine, a little redundancy, but I can surely live with it. At least now I'll be able to recognize and print only what I need and not pull hair out trying to decifer stuff.

Now on to learning how to print the labels!!!!!

Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Complete newbie | Mac Pro (early 2009) 10.6.7 Hard Drive Issues »