New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Justification of Price Required

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vanquish7

vanquish7 is an unknown at this point

I've been looking around here and I'm having a hard time figuring out why the computers are a 70-100% mark-up compared to other brands of personal computers. The pretty aluminium case is certainly not worth as much as the whole rest of the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post
I've been looking around here and I'm having a hard time figuring out why the computers are a 70-100% mark-up compared to other brands of personal computers. The pretty aluminium case is certainly not worth as much as the whole rest of the computer.
May want to try searching using the search function at the top. You'll find lots of good information already out in the forum on this.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Housekat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27 iMac 2.93

Well, what alot(Every PC Fanboy) overlooks is that the iMac sports a IPS LED Backlit monitor. The resolution of the 27 inch is 2560x1440 to be included ontop of that marvelous monitor. If you search for that alone, you'll find the CHEAPEST price being close to 1000 dollars. Now, for the rest of the computer, since its also form factor(meaning not desktop and monitor setup but all in one) you'll have to narrow your search even further on prices, as not every brand has all in one computers for cheap. Also it incudes a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard, shall we say, 40-80 dollars right there? i7 core processor, 4 gigs ram(Laptop Memory thus price it that way), 1TB harddrive, Wireless N Card, SD Card Slot, Dual Layer DVD Writer, High End Graphics card(Laptop Version, Price it as such). I think that about covers quite a bit of it. But in the end, you see that the price is only marked up by 100 bucks.

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Apple has a margin of about 30% on its computers - hardly 70-100% but still way baove the industry average

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If you do not think it is worth the money simply do not buy it. The usual recourse available to purchasers who are unhappy with price/quality.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
VeganHipster

VeganHipster is on a distinguished road

The premium (for every apple product, not the iMac exclusively) is for having everything working 90% of the time.

If you look at Dell or HP or whatever, you will find that they have tons of products in their computer line up. Dell currently has around 30 if you count Alienware, and HP has over 50. If something goes wrong with one of their computers, they could completely forget about it or ignore it because they have to focus on everything else they are juggling. Now look at Apple; how many computers do they have in their product line up? 6. If something goes wrong with a Macbook Pro or an iMac, they pretty much have to fix it because that is a third of their product line.

So I believe the premium is paid for support, better construction, and (in my opinion) better software.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Apple has a margin of about 30% on its computers - hardly 70-100% but still way baove the industry average
Agreed! A few weeks ago we have ordered some higher level Dell business laptops for some managers at work and they came out $2300 all in. For $2600 I got my very comparable MBP. Actually not that much more.

What I noticed: The built in camera on those Dells is really low quality. Everybody comments on the great crisp picture of the iSight from the Mac. Even the iPhone has a better image quality than the Dell. With that and a bunch of other things I like about Macs I'm happy to pay an extra $300. :-)

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

as always, if you compare similar tier systems.. prices are within 1%.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best 2006 Mac mini Processor upgrade option | Cleaning a g5 powermac inside & out? »