New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 model number confusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LucySF

I've finally decided on a powermac G5 2GHz but I'm confused about the two different model numbers. There is a M9455LL/A and an M9747LL/A. The major difference between the two that I can tell is memory capacity, the 9455 can go to 8GB the other only to 4GB and the 9747LL/A seems to be more readily available.

I am unfortunately not very computer savvy at this point and don't understand the rest of the differences ie:Serial ATA vs. Ultra ATA. Can anyone shed some light on the differences of these two machines?

Which would be your choice if your main use is photo editing in photoshop?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

I have no idea.. but the one that apple.com sells is the M9747LL/A. Honestly, an imac g5 would be fine for photoshop editing, so either one would do you find. I would personally recommend atleast 1 gb of ram, if not 2 or 3.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

well not knowing but just assuming, that possibly the one that accepst 4gb of ram is a single proccessor, and the one that accepts 8gb of ram is a dual?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

no, i looked up the p/n and both are the same computer, its wierd, they are both 2.0 dual, 512, 160, 16x SD
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The M9455 is an older modell, it was the the high-end Mac of the first PowerMac G5 series, thus could be upgraded to 8GB, unlike the low-end one (1.6GHz) that was limited to 4GB.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

The recent dual 2 GHz dual can now only be upgraded to 4 Gig Ram and not 8 like earlier models. I wonder why they changed it?

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
The recent dual 2 GHz dual can now only be upgraded to 4 Gig Ram and not 8 like earlier models. I wonder why they changed it?
Because the recent dual 2GHz is the low-end modell...that's the only reason.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPU advice | Windows Media Viewer Woes »