New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Trouble using the MacPro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Struis

Struis is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have a MacPro 3.1 of which I already read quite a bit on this forum I use a Philips 19" CRT monitor on the system (yes, I know...). Strange things are happening.. Oh, my previous harddisk is gone, so I replaced it, but it should have nothing to do with what's going on.

I start up the system, nice bong, but white screen. Nothing else. No flashing lights and everything responds. I stuffed in an Ubuntu Alternate AMD64 CD and it installed like a charm. Textmodes are fine. Weirdly, after it boots X, lots of artifacts appear. But it's not always like that! Some boots, everything is fine. Even though I can't work out what I'm actually booting, because of that white screen.

Booting a MacOSX DVD is the same. It takes some time, booting the DVD with the C pressed down, and the Apple logo appears and so does the star like thing... Unfortunately, my present DVD seems to be damaged, so the install process doesn't continue, but the Mac was given to me by a friend who DOES have a proper DVD, but same problems there. White screen, nice looking graphics and suddenly, everything crooked.

It seemed to me, if the videocard is broken, why do some videomodes, most of the time, work properly, also the high resolution ones? And where does that starting white screen come from?

Hope anyone can shed some light on all of this.... It's frustrating not to be able to use this great machine..

Cheers, Bas.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

How exactly do you have the CRT connected to the Mac? Since the Mac Pro would only support digital signals (i.e. via DVI), and since CRT monitors are analog (I suppose there are exceptions), I'm betting that the Mac is trying to use a display resolution unsupported by the monitor.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Struis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
How exactly do you have the CRT connected to the Mac? Since the Mac Pro would only support digital signals (i.e. via DVI), and since CRT monitors are analog (I suppose there are exceptions), I'm betting that the Mac is trying to use a display resolution unsupported by the monitor.
I'm using a DVI to VGA block. Problem is that the previous monitor used IS a real 23" Apple monitor, LCD. But every other resolution tried by the Mac or OS could be displayed by the monitor, even if it shouldn't be supported. So I don't think that's the problem.

I just removed the CMOS battery to replace it. INterestingly enough the clip holding it in place broke off (it feld like it was soldered in place on the battery), so that could be fun to fix..
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struis View Post
I'm using a DVI to VGA block. Problem is that the previous monitor used IS a real 23" Apple monitor, LCD. But every other resolution tried by the Mac or OS could be displayed by the monitor, even if it shouldn't be supported. So I don't think that's the problem.
Well did the previous Apple monitor have any issues??? And it still may well be the CRT. The Mac thinks it's connecting to an LCD and may be using a combination of display resolution and refresh rate that is unsupported by the CRT. And why would you install the AMD64 version of Ubuntu on a Mac? These use Intel CPUs.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Struis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Well did the previous Apple monitor have any issues??? And it still may well be the CRT. The Mac thinks it's connecting to an LCD and may be using a combination of display resolution and refresh rate that is unsupported by the CRT. And why would you install the AMD64 version of Ubuntu on a Mac? These use Intel CPUs.
Okay, I'll try it on a LCD display first and see what it will do.. First make sure that's not the problem, you're right..

The AMD64 version just is a 64 bits version of Ubuntu. It has nothing to do whether it's Intel or AMD. It did run like a charm, as long as it doesn't do something in the software that will create those weird screen things. When kept as simple as possible, I can pretty much run it at any resolution in Ubuntu without any issues at all..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead Mini, still dead... | Doubt. Starcraft 2 iMac 27 runs at maximum setting? »