New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

I am having problems starting up my new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Top-Cat

Top-Cat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 (2011) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB

I am having problems starting up my new imac, 3 times in the last week it has not started up straight away when I have clicked the on button. I have had to switch it off by the mains and then switch it back on to boot up, last time I had a loud bleeping noise before I switched it off by the mains? anybody help me with this please??
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Can we just go back one step?

When your Mac was working properly, how do you switch it off?

And it might help to have a few basic details - desktop, laptop etc and the specs.

Lastly, if very new, you will be covered by Apple Care for 12 months. Maybe you took out the 3 year option?

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Mac Specs: iMac 27 (2011) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Can we just go back one step?

When your Mac was working properly, how do you switch it off?

And it might help to have a few basic details - desktop, laptop etc and the specs.

Lastly, if very new, you will be covered by Apple Care for 12 months. Maybe you took out the 3 year option?

Ian
Hiya, I turn my new imac 27 ins off by clicking on the apple icon and then click shut down. Imac specks some anyway......odel Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
I have upgraded to the 3 year protection plan.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Have you added any RAM modules?
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Have you added any RAM modules?
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 12 GB
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I mean - have you added any recently. May want to try removing the additional RAM modules as a first check - just use the RAM modules that shipped. Often beeping at start up is a RAM problem. You can try reseating the modules - but first I'd just see if you can isolate by pulling out one module and see if it boots.
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I mean - have you added any recently. May want to try removing the additional RAM modules as a first check - just use the RAM modules that shipped. Often beeping at start up is a RAM problem. You can try reseating the modules - but first I'd just see if you can isolate by pulling out one module and see if it boots.
Yes I have added more memory, I will try what you have advised if it doesn't start up again, I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
Yes I have added more memory, I will try what you have advised if it doesn't start up again, I appreciate the help.
I just realized I didn't type what I meant - what I meant to say was pull out all of the memory modules you added leaving only what the iMac shipped with. If it boots - then you can start replacing one at a time until you find the bad module.
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Also, I do not know if this is related to your problem, but if it is not the memory, how many peripherals do you have connected the USB and Firewire ports when starting up?

The reason I say that is because I have a non-supported, Canon Multi-Function Printer hooked up to my new iMac via a USB Hub to a USB Port. That makes startup time real long. The iMac must read all the info and load it every time it starts up. Just a guess.
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

I un-plugged my external USB Port (which I bought because there isn't a lot of USB port's on my Imac) and it started no problem, I noticed that when I tried to plug another USB connection in the mouse would stop working until l I took out the USB connection so that could have been the problem??? what do you think?

Anybody have a good external USB device they would recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
I un-plugged my external USB Port (which I bought because there isn't a lot of USB port's on my Imac) and it started no problem, I noticed that when I tried to plug another USB connection in the mouse would stop working until l I took out the USB connection so that could have been the problem??? what do you think?

Anybody have a good external USB device they would recommend?
I use a Cables Unlimited 7 Port USB Hub which will work fine with your Mac. You can find it at:

Cables Unlimited USB-1870 USB HUB - 7-Port, USB 2.0, 2.5ft Cable at TigerDirect.com

I'm sure you can also find it other places on the web.

And yes, that seems to be the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokermaniac View Post
I use a Cables Unlimited 7 Port USB Hub which will work fine with your Mac. You can find it at:

Cables Unlimited USB-1870 USB HUB - 7-Port, USB 2.0, 2.5ft Cable at TigerDirect.com

I'm sure you can also find it other places on the web.

And yes, that seems to be the problem.
Do you know any other Hubs that will work with Imac?
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

The only other one that I know of offhand, that I've used in the past is this 4 Port one:

Newegg.com - i-rocks IR-4610 Blue USB 2.0 4-Ports Hub

I'm sure there are more if you Google it and look around though.
QUOTE Thanks
Top-Cat

Still starting up OK must have been the USB hub, thanks again

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to migrate? | Best way to set up this »