New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Connecting classic iMac to Broadband...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

echo_unit

echo_unit is on a distinguished road

I have a classic iMac (9.2.2,) and I'm looking to connect to my Broadband, etc. Could use a dialler, but that seems stupid. I've tried a few things using the Ethernet on the iMac via the connection on the back of my Virgin box, no joy. The iMac set up is very confusing and I don't even know what the Ethernet connection on the Virgin box is for. I use Netgear for a wireless connection with my MacBook. If I could connect the classic iMac via wireless, that would be great, but LAN would be OK. Please help, step-by-step, etc. Many thanks, in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You use a hub between the Imac and the broadband modem. That creates the network. Go into the remote access control panel and choose the ethernet setup. Turn on Appletalk.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm curious: what exactly do you plan to do on the internet once you get this going? Most websites won't work, IMAP mail won't work (POP will do fine, though), Usenet will be okay but I think even FTP will have issues with OS 9 these days.
QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
You use a hub between the Imac and the broadband modem. That creates the network. Go into the remote access control panel and choose the ethernet setup. Turn on Appletalk.
Thanks. What hub would you recomend?
QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm curious: what exactly do you plan to do on the internet once you get this going? Most websites won't work, IMAP mail won't work (POP will do fine, though), Usenet will be okay but I think even FTP will have issues with OS 9 these days.
The reasons for getting it back on line are thus... Stubbornness, in the main, but it won't hurt to get it back online. Also, Storing and uploading large audio files, etc, will save some space on my MacBook.--
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

From what you said, you have a Virgin modem, which is then connected to a Netgear router? If so, connect it to the Netgear - no need to get a hub.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

The Netgear has no Ethernet connection. It only has LAN. I tried this, but nothing. However, I'll try it again, or am I wasting my time if it has no Ethernet?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

??? The LAN ports are ethernet ports.
They are labeled LAN to indicate you use those to connect to your Local Area Network (the computers in your house) vs the port called WAN which is connected to the Wide Area Network (your modem) and gives you access to the internet.

Then follow the instruction by MacSK above.

QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

As I said at the outset - Tried all this, via LAN - no go. Remote Access has no Control Panel, Control Panel has Remote Access. Remote Access won't accept anything other that Dial-up details, or Default. Default relates to nothing. When clicking on the RemoteAccess option on the top bar, nothing changes. AppleTalk is on Ethernet, always has been, 'no zones available'. Can't use TCP/IP, as in use (?). Can't go near Network Browser, or the iMac crashes and has to be unplugged. I've entered all kinds of server details into all kinds of 'stuff', but this is going nowhere. Maybe I should just forget it, as I'm getting rather feed up with it all. I don't get why I can't just point the Mac in the direction of Ethernet, for it's connection to the Internet.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Could be the NIC in that 12 year old machine is dead if that's the case.

QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

Don't know. To be honest, I think I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks for your help though. Sometimes, it's not so good to be stubborn.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What iMac is this? I have a feeling if you have the iMac hooked up to the Netgear router with a Straight Through Cat-5 Cable (NOT Crossover) and the iMac will still not get an IP address, you have it set up wrong in OS9.

Also when you plug in the cable from the iMac to the Netgear do you get a Lan Light lit on the Netgear?

I will fire up an OS9 machine and get back to you with things to check. Might take me a few so be patient!!
QUOTE Thanks
echo_unit

It's a 1999 revision C or D iMac, tray loading, 333 Mhz, I think. No, no light for the relevant LAN connection, on the Netgear. Interesting.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

I had a similar experience trying to get my Imac G3 to connect to the internet though my D-Link router. But never quite got it to work, however it would work when plugged directly into the modem. I think it had something to do with OS X 10.1 not being able to understand what was coming out of the Router... Maybe you should try to get a hold of an old OS X install disk, like 10.3 Panther, and update the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I own a Rev-D 333Mhz Grape with Tray Load drive. Will boot into OS 9.2.2 and get back to you.

It should light a light on the router though. Are you SURE the Cat-5 Cable is good and a Straight Through cable and not a Crossover? On a Crossover cable the wiring on both ends is different. Like say Orange White on pin 1, Orange on Pin 2 on one end, but on the other end Orange White to Pin 3 and Orange to Pin 6 on the opposite end.

You want the same colors to the same pins on both ends. A Straight Through cable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac. Not impressed with the speed. | 27-inch iMac font size/resolution »