Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting classic iMac to Broadband...
    I have a classic iMac (9.2.2,) and I'm looking to connect to my Broadband, etc. Could use a dialler, but that seems stupid. I've tried a few things using the Ethernet on the iMac via the connection on the back of my Virgin box, no joy. The iMac set up is very confusing and I don't even know what the Ethernet connection on the Virgin box is for. I use Netgear for a wireless connection with my MacBook. If I could connect the classic iMac via wireless, that would be great, but LAN would be OK. Please help, step-by-step, etc. Many thanks, in advance...

You use a hub between the Imac and the broadband modem. That creates the network. Go into the remote access control panel and choose the ethernet setup. Turn on Appletalk.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I'm curious: what exactly do you plan to do on the internet once you get this going? Most websites won't work, IMAP mail won't work (POP will do fine, though), Usenet will be okay but I think even FTP will have issues with OS 9 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
    You use a hub between the Imac and the broadband modem. That creates the network. Go into the remote access control panel and choose the ethernet setup. Turn on Appletalk.
    Thanks. What hub would you recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I'm curious: what exactly do you plan to do on the internet once you get this going? Most websites won't work, IMAP mail won't work (POP will do fine, though), Usenet will be okay but I think even FTP will have issues with OS 9 these days.
    The reasons for getting it back on line are thus... Stubbornness, in the main, but it won't hurt to get it back online. Also, Storing and uploading large audio files, etc, will save some space on my MacBook.--

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    From what you said, you have a Virgin modem, which is then connected to a Netgear router? If so, connect it to the Netgear - no need to get a hub.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

The Netgear has no Ethernet connection. It only has LAN. I tried this, but nothing. However, I'll try it again, or am I wasting my time if it has no Ethernet?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    ??? The LAN ports are ethernet ports.
    They are labeled LAN to indicate you use those to connect to your Local Area Network (the computers in your house) vs the port called WAN which is connected to the Wide Area Network (your modem) and gives you access to the internet.

Then follow the instruction by MacSK above.

As I said at the outset - Tried all this, via LAN - no go. Remote Access has no Control Panel, Control Panel has Remote Access. Remote Access won't accept anything other that Dial-up details, or Default. Default relates to nothing. When clicking on the RemoteAccess option on the top bar, nothing changes. AppleTalk is on Ethernet, always has been, 'no zones available'. Can't use TCP/IP, as in use (?). Can't go near Network Browser, or the iMac crashes and has to be unplugged. I've entered all kinds of server details into all kinds of 'stuff', but this is going nowhere. Maybe I should just forget it, as I'm getting rather feed up with it all. I don't get why I can't just point the Mac in the direction of Ethernet, for it's connection to the Internet.

Specs:
    Could be the NIC in that 12 year old machine is dead if that's the case.

Don't know. To be honest, I think I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks for your help though. Sometimes, it's not so good to be stubborn.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    What iMac is this? I have a feeling if you have the iMac hooked up to the Netgear router with a Straight Through Cat-5 Cable (NOT Crossover) and the iMac will still not get an IP address, you have it set up wrong in OS9.

Also when you plug in the cable from the iMac to the Netgear do you get a Lan Light lit on the Netgear?

I will fire up an OS9 machine and get back to you with things to check. Might take me a few so be patient!!

It's a 1999 revision C or D iMac, tray loading, 333 Mhz, I think. No, no light for the relevant LAN connection, on the Netgear. Interesting.

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    I had a similar experience trying to get my Imac G3 to connect to the internet though my D-Link router. But never quite got it to work, however it would work when plugged directly into the modem. I think it had something to do with OS X 10.1 not being able to understand what was coming out of the Router... Maybe you should try to get a hold of an old OS X install disk, like 10.3 Panther, and update the OS.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    I own a Rev-D 333Mhz Grape with Tray Load drive. Will boot into OS 9.2.2 and get back to you.

It should light a light on the router though. Are you SURE the Cat-5 Cable is good and a Straight Through cable and not a Crossover? On a Crossover cable the wiring on both ends is different. Like say Orange White on pin 1, Orange on Pin 2 on one end, but on the other end Orange White to Pin 3 and Orange to Pin 6 on the opposite end.

You want the same colors to the same pins on both ends. A Straight Through cable.

Thread Information