Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Best way to migrate? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/241725-best-way-migrate.html)

fixerman 06-18-2011 11:23 AM

Best way to migrate?

I am getting a new iMac delivered next week and I want to transfer all my stuff from the existing iMac.:)

I have been researching the best method but have ended up slightly confused. There seem to be conflicting advice as to whether Migration Assistant or Setup Assistance is most suitable.:Confused:

I would appreciate advice from any forum members who have been through this process please.:)

BrianLachoreVPI 06-18-2011 11:26 AM

Highly recommend Migration Assistant. I've used it twice and it has performed flawlessly both times.

chscag 06-18-2011 12:03 PM

I just went through migrating everything over to our new iMac from a MacBook. Rather than using the Migration Assistant application, I used Time Machine. When you first boot the new iMac it'll ask if you wish to transfer from another Mac. You can choose either method.

fixerman 06-18-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1254528)
I just went through migrating everything over to our new iMac from a MacBook. Rather than using the Migration Assistant application, I used Time Machine. When you first boot the new iMac it'll ask if you wish to transfer from another Mac. You can choose either method.

When you first boot up the new iMac, do you have to set up an account or will all the information regarding your existing account be transferred from the old imac?

BrianLachoreVPI 06-18-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 1254530)
When you first boot up the new iMac, do you have to set up an account or will all the information regarding your existing account be transferred from the old imac?

With migration assistant - it brings over all your existing profile information to the new Mac. I'm not sure about Time Machine as I haven't done it that way. I'm sure chscag will be along with an answer shortly. :)

chscag 06-18-2011 12:24 PM

The profile info will transfer over using either method. It's really your choice as to which you want to use. I like Time Machine because it has always worked for me.

IWT 06-18-2011 03:46 PM

I've used Time Machine at least three times to create an exact copy of all my data, settings, applications, Aperture, iTunes & iPhoto libraries to a series of new iMacs without the slightest hitch.

It is said that if you had a problem on your original Mac, then Migration Assistant was better in that you could selectively transfer just those things you wanted; but as I've never been in that position I've always used TM.

TM is the easiest way of duplicating your existing system - assuming no problems.

Ian

fixerman 06-18-2011 03:51 PM

Thanks folks for your very valuable advice! I will post back and let you know how I get on!;D

fixerman 06-22-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 1254616)
Thanks folks for your very valuable advice! I will post back and let you know how I get on!;D

The new iMac arrived today and as soon as it started up I took the option of transferring using the Time Machine. All going well and it has estimated another four hours transfer time. Unfortunately the Time Machine disc is USB only.

Thanks again folks.:)

chscag 06-22-2011 02:44 PM

A Time Machine transfer using USB, especially if there's a lot of data involved will definitely take awhile. I used a Firewire 800 drive which turned out to be much faster. Took less than 30 minutes.

fixerman 06-23-2011 05:23 AM

The transfer went like a dream. It was so painless compared to my past experiences with transferring from one windows pc to another.

Well done Apple!:Blushing: