New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New 8 Core system... what RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bjielsl

Bjielsl is on a distinguished road

The website says this..."Mac Pro supports 8GB registered DIMMs (R-DIMMs) for up to 64GB of memory in 8-Core and 12-Core systems. R-DIMMs cannot be mixed with unregistered DIMMs."

So to add more do I have to find R-DIMM's

I will be getting the 2.4 8 Core..With 8gb from the factore.. 4x2. I want to add more when I get it.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core 2.4GHz (8-cores, Intel Xeon E5620) - 1066MHz Memory Bus - Mid 2010
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And for some comparison:-

Mac Pro Memory

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bjielsl

Do you have to install in pairs? Or can I just throw a new
Stick a month in it?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

yes, matched pairs

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Bjielsl

Now next question ...... 1066mhz or 1333mhz.. I plan on replace all my installed chips eventually. If I buy 1333now can i mix it with the stock 1066?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird noises from iMac 27" when turned off (with video) | Weird Ram Issue. Pls help! »