New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

what would you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ifighting

ifighting is on a distinguished road

Hi! new to the forums. Just wanted you ask you guys a question and get some quick advice.

My current HP PC specs are AMD quadcore phenom with 6GB of RAM, a 750GB hard drive, a 512MB GeForce 9800GT graphics card, a TV tuner, and 802.11n wireless connectivity, dvd/cd burner. I don't ever use the TV tuner feature. I bought this PC back in February of 2009 and got it for $650.00 with a included keyboard and mouse on a refurbished website deal. well the PC has recently been giving me some problems with blue screens and resetting on its own, I have a bad feeling either my hard drive or mother board might be on there way out.

well my question is I have been considering buying a MAC for my next computer, I found a MAC mini about 3 months old for sale for $500 with included apple wireless keyboard. the mini specs : 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Is the Mini worth the money? I know its getting long in the tooth. Will I be disappointed with the Mini's performance? My requirements for a desktop are web surfing, email, Itunes, HD streaming, video torrents and occasional gaming (once in a blue moon, not really important)
I also plan to upgrade the Mini to 4gb if I buy it.

So what do you guys think? the reason I even hunted down the Mini is because I already have a acer monitor and figured the Mini was the cheapest way into a MAC.

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Housekat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27 iMac 2.93

I think that will be sufficient with all your needs as 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo should be able to process all your streaming needs, as well as the 320m, I believe thats 512mb. Don't forget you can also use pc version as well on that mac mini so you can go back and forth at your leisure. But overall I think you will be happy with OSX.

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

That will probably suit your needs pretty well. I wouldn't expect a great gaming experience with the higher-end games., but otherwise it should suit you very well.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« High-end iMac graphics upgrade? | humming speakers on iMac »