New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to make a third partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corfutasos

corfutasos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5'' iMac Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Hello!
I would like to make a third partition on my Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
I already have a Windows 7 partition and I want to install Windows XP on a different partition.
So that's how I want my Hard Drives to be...
1. Mac OS X
2. Windows 7
3. Windows XP <--- This is the third partition I want to create.
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Rather than fooling around with additional partitions, have you considered running the third OS in a Virtual Machine?

VirtualBox is free and works well.

Otherwise, you'll want to look into rEFIt. But be aware, once you step out beyond the capabilities of Boot Camp, things tend to be a LOT more complicated.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
corfutasos

Hey.
I won't install the third OS on a Virtual Machine because of performance reasons.
And I can't understand what that rEFIt thiing does...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by corfutasos View Post
Hey.
I won't install the third OS on a Virtual Machine because of performance reasons.
Unless you're gaming on it, I don't think you'll find any difference in performance - particularly with XP.

Quote:
And I can't understand what that rEFIt thiing does...
Basically, Boot Camp was designed to work with two partitions only. And since Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mac OS X all use different technologies to boot, you'll need a bootloader that is capable of handling the task. That's what rEFIt does.

Documentation is available here:

rEFIt - Documentation - Installing rEFIt

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
corfutasos

Yes, I am gaming on it and a game won't work on Windows 7 for unknown reason.
If I use rEFIt will a third partition be allowed?
Can you rate the difficulty of the rEFIt installation and have as top the number 10.
If it's hard rate it more than 5.
If it's easy rate it less than 5.
Excuse my English, I am Greek
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Yes, I am gaming on it and a game won't work on Windows 7 for unknown reason.
Have you tried going into properties on the executable and setting it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP?

Quote:
If I use rEFIt will a third partition be allowed?
Yes. The question is whether OS X's Disk Utility can handle non-destructively adding a third partition. It may not be able to move the existing Windows 7 partition. Definitely back up before you try.

Quote:
Can you rate the difficulty of the rEFIt installation and have as top the number 10.
If it's hard rate it more than 5.
If it's easy rate it less than 5.
Excuse my English, I am Greek
I'd say you're looking at a difficulty rating of 8. I've never done this myself, but have seen others here do it, and it tends to be fairly complex.

QUOTE Thanks
corfutasos

Well I can play this game but I can't play it online, it used to work but when I came back to play it after 1 week it wouldn't play online. I tried it on a Virtual Machine and online works fine but game's performance is not that good.

What if I erase some space, about 10 GB, from my OS X partition and install Windows XP on it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
What if I erase some space, about 10 GB, from my OS X partition and install Windows XP on it?
I would imagine so. There's only one way to find out

Make sure you've got backups before you proceed.

QUOTE Thanks
corfutasos

Ok, I will give it a try.
I will feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
corfutasos

I asked these guys here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15413448#15413448
And they say it won't work.
What if I make a second partition on my Windows 7 HDD instead of Mac OS X HDD?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problems receiving files using ichat | mouse issue on imac »