New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Bout to buy a Mac Pro... what would you do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bjielsl

Bjielsl is on a distinguished road

I am about to order a dual 2.4ghz Mac Pro. I was thinking about upgrading the main or systm drive to an SSD to take advantage of all the speed it will have. It seems like the 7200 RPM HDD would be the slowest part of the system.

But i am stuck on what to do.
1. 128gb SSD
2. Momentus XT Hybrid
3. Leave the stock 7200 1TB

My concern is that will having the system drive (where I will install the OS) as the only SSD will that even help?
QUOTE Thanks
ChefDude

ChefDude is on a distinguished road

before answering your poll, i'd ask what you are going to be doing?

ssds are expensive per gb storage, but their advantage is zero latency file access. in real world terms, lightning fast access to multiple files compared to a nominal hard disk. like when booting up.

hard drives are cheap and useful when you need lots of TB of space.

if you're buying a mac pro, then i'd personally boot from an SSD, have my images on the Momentus hybrid and then other less frequently accessed data on normal hard drives.

me? I have normal hard drives and I'm happy with them - it was more important for me to get the MP, ram upgrade and a 27" monitor. no money left for SSDs
QUOTE Thanks
Bjielsl

Bjielsl is on a distinguished road

Mostly heavy Photoshop and aperture. I rarely if ever shut my system down so boot speed isn't an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Avoid the Seagate Momentus. Do a search of the forums for problems. Suggest getting a Mercury Extreme SSD from OWC, and say an Icey Dock case to mount it, and pop it in position number one, and then do a clean install of Snow Leopard, or maybe Lion depending when you get your machine.

The original 7200RPM drive can be mounted in position 2, and used as a cloned backup, installing Bootcamp etc on.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

A hybrid drive seems like a 'best of both worlds' option. From what I understand, the way they work is that everything is stored on the hard disk drive. Then what the SSD section does is copy across the most commonly used files so when you access one of those it comes from the SSD part of the drive.

SSD drives havent been around for a long time yet so people are a bit wary of them and how long they will last before they start losing data as they only have a finite amount of use. With Hybrid drives in the unlikely event of the SSD section failing, it just falls over to the hard disk.

The hybrid is the one I'd go with.

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'd go with a standard HDD at this stage in the game. The "bang for the buck" ratio is just not quite there yet, IMO. Now, when a good quality 256GB SSD is available for $250-300, I will have changed my tune.

The hybrid drives are very interesting - and the prices are very good. My only concern is the plethora of negative reviews. I just have some concern about the reliability and long term performance gains over a standard HDD. I also don't feel entirely comfortable with the drive's own intelligence moving around my data and making determinations about efficiency outside of the OS.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro 3.1 (2008) 800MHz memory - ever heard of this dealer? | Imac SSD order »