New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro (early 2009) 10.6.7 Hard Drive Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sampetra

Sampetra is on a distinguished road

So, about two weeks ago, my Mac Pro started to crash regularly. Each attempt to boot up was met with a flashing "?" inside a folder. After some tech support with Apple, I was told I had a dead hard drive. They sent me a new one.

When that drive got here, the new drive was not recognized by the computer. I called Apple again, and they said that every once in a while a drive arrives DoA. I was sent a new HDD. That drive also did not work. I purchased a compatible SATA drive in a store, and got the same story.

Then, last week, my old original drive seemingly sprang back to life and was working like normal. Unfortunately, it was a short lived respite, the drive crashed again last night, and while I can boot into it, it keeps on unmounting minutes after the boot.

I don't think the issue is the HDDs like Apple said. Is there anything potentially wrong with the motherboard, or anything else that I should be thinking about? The computer was purchased just over a year ago, and I really don't want to be stuck with a machine that can't mount HDDs.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Does it matter which drive bay the drive is in? Or is this only an issue with Bay #1? It's possible it's only a bad SATA cable for that bay, like perhaps it got skinned somewhere along the line and grounded out.
QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

Unfortunately I've tried each of the hard drives in each of the bays. The only one that reads (occasionally) is the original drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

When you say the new drive was not recognised when set up in say position two, what did Disk Utility say about the drive as it may well need to be partitioned GUID and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled)?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

The new drives didn't show up in either the disk utility or system profiler.

Two of the 3 new drives were sent by Apple themselves, so they are definitely compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like logic board problems getting power to SATA connectors.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

Any way for me to fix that from home? I'm a fairly handy guy.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampetra View Post

When that drive got here, the new drive was not recognized by the computer.
Did you install an OS on it? You didn't say.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

I would have if the drive was recognized. They were not even mounting. I could hear the HDDs spinning, but they wouln't show up in the disk utility, and the OS installer couldn't find them to install the operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
powermac G5

powermac G5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

I refurbish said to be dead Mac pro's and I have experienced your issue with hang ups at boot and flashing folder with well known working drives. Again as the same for others this is an on going problem with the neglected CMOS back up battery. System preferences are saved via this battery and your main boot drive can not be recognized because the system is trying to boot from the default network start up. Replace the flat lithium battery CR2032 and try your original drive with OS installed. If no luck possible HD has gone bad. In that case install a new drive and insert OS disc, powerdown and restart holding option and once screen is reached select OS disc and boot. Once installer is reached be sure to enter disk utility and partion drive as "1" and select the options tab below and select GUID partition table for partition and istall OS. You should be fine from here. I feel the battery will solve this problem as I have seen some of the silliest issues with the pro and bad or dead CMOS back up battery such as failed CPU's HA! So try the easiest and cheapest method first. Also noted in some instances is the Airport card if installed, can go bad causing a short, really confuses the machine. I do not feel this is your problem though.
Post back your results, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

Where can I find that battery (in the computer, and where to purchase a new one)?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

No idea where the battery is, but CR2032 is one of the most common batteries. You will find it at almost any Walmart or other major store.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Under the graphics card perhaps held down by a circular clip.

QUOTE Thanks
Sampetra

Replaced the battery, no dice.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Did not think so. Back to the logic board alas.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Y'all are gonna get tired of me:) | Weird noises from iMac 27" when turned off (with video) »