New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Can anyone help - weird problem...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dfrbrowne

dfrbrowne is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

My spec is 2.3GHz Power PC G5 Mac OSX Vers 10.4.11. 4.5 GB RAM
Over the weekend I got back from a weeks holiday and powered up my Mac. Normally I keep it on 24/7 and have not had any problems.
On three occasions yesterday while it was left alone or in sleep mode the fans went very loud and the screen would not come back up.
The only way to stop the fans was to hold in the start button for several seconds until it powered down and restart it up again. At one point on restart it did say I needed to restart as max os x had quit unexpectedly.

Now today I had to go out for six hours so I set itunes to play a long list of songs my thinking being that if the mac is busy doing something it wont go to loud fans and fail, so I come back after six hours out and yes its fine still playing the playlist and working ok.

anyone got any clues? I am worried if I leave it idle the same problem is going to happen again.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Maybe the Restart was what it needed ???

By the way, lots of people think they have a "weird problem". You'd be better off with a descriptive title that describes your issue. That way, someone with specific knowledge of the problem could drop in and help you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro 2006 No Video | Very Strange Things Have Happened »