New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Calling UK owners of Mac Pro - I need some advice to avoid being scammed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

espi

espi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard

I'm keeping my eye on the 2nd-hand listings (ebay / Gumtree / Craigslist etc), in order to buy my first Mac Pro machine.

I'm well used to sniffing out scammers - they usually follow the same idiotic M.O. and are easy to spot, but there's a listing that has me intrigued. It looks totally kosher - well-described, with good clear pics that support the written spec - except for one thing: there's one picture which shows the mains power lead - and it definitely hasn't got a UK 13-Amp mains plug on the end. Have a look:

Having never owned a Mac Pro (yet), I don't know whether this is suspicious or not. Do the machines for the UK market come supplied with a standard UK mains plug, or do owners have to use an adapter/fit their own? All advice gratefully received!
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Maybe there's an innocent explanation for the plug...

Perhaps they sourced it outside the UK ?

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
espi

Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard

's possible, I suppose - or did they just source the pictures from somewhere else?

I forgot to mention the main reason for my suspicions - the asking price. A scam-tastically low £400.

I know, I know... Don't throw things at the screen! (ducks behind sofa)

Thinks: why have I got ducks behind my sofa..?
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

What's also odd is that they show the separate keyboard ( wireless?) for the iMac's - although some people may prefer to use this other than the MBP's own built-in black keyboard.....but these cost 60 quid alone - and the mouse shown costs 40 quid !

Of course - it may be a pic of a New machine - which might conceal the state of the actual item for sale etc....

A MBP - for 400 GBP - how old do they claim it is out of interest ?
Def. 'caveat emptor '!!

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The fact that some people do or do not prefer the MMBP built in keyboard is irrelevant. The OP is asking about the Mac Pro. It did not come with the black keyboard you referenced. It came with a USB keyboard originally but will work with the wireless keyboard assuming that Bluetooth is active on the computer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The @OP has said Mac Pro, not MBP (Macbook Pro)..there's a big difference there..now does the listing say how old the Mac Pro is?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
espi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
now does the listing say how old the Mac Pro is?
Yes, it's a 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 model.

This is the text of the listing:

Model MA970LL/A

Dual (two) 2.8 Ghz Quad-core Intel Xeon Processors

10 GB RAM expandable up to 32 GB

320 GB hard drive

16x Double-Layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 - For use with LED Apple Cinema Display

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Two FireWire 800 ports

Two FireWire 400 ports

Five USB 2.0 ports

Bluetooth

Front-panel headphone minijack and speaker

Optical digital audio input and output Toslink ports

Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks

OS: Snow Leopard - 10.6 Installed + Retail Install Disc / Packaging

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 - For use with LED Apple Cinema Display

Magic Mouse (wireless - only a few months old)

Wireless Apple Keyboard (only a few months old)

And here's a shot of the interior, showing both graphics cards:

I have responded to the advert, suggesting that I should visit the seller and see the machine in operation (this is usually enough to sniff out a scammer). So far... no response!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A quick search yields that used versions of that Mac Pro are selling for no less than $1700 in most places..and it originally sold for $3000..

The price of 400 pounds or $652 USD is just WAAY too cheap..almost stolen cheap..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Ask to inspect the machine and for the serial number.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very Strange Things Have Happened | Can someone tell me if this is a good deal? »