New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New iMac and new to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tawcat

tawcat is on a distinguished road

These may sound like stupid questions, but here goes.

Being new to Mac many of the icons and functions are strange to me. Like, why the "delete" button backspaces!

The "preview" icon, what is it's function and how is it used?

Can I place icons on desktop rather than using the dock?

I saw a demo where they had three windows opened at on time. They appeared as miniature sized windows and you could navigate between the three. How did they do that?

Yep Mac is brand new to me, sure wish I had made the switch years ago.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=tawcat;1250633]These may sound like stupid questions, but here goes.

Being new to Mac many of the icons and functions are strange to me. Like, why the "delete" button backspaces!

I saw a demo where they had three windows opened at on time. They appeared as miniature sized windows and you could navigate between the three. How did they do that?

Yep Mac is brand new to me, sure wish I had made the switch years ago.

Welcome to the world of Macs. Which iMac did you get? The cursor moving backwards was something that threw me for a loop the first time also. When I asked my computer teacher (college course I was taking at the time, he was a big Mac fan) his answer was, "It is a Mac not a Windows PC". As far as taking icons from the dock and putting them directly on the desktop, you can click and drag the actual program from the "application folder". If you drag same from the dock, you just delete the shortcut from the dock. I believe, the three windows at once is "Expose". To open multiple web pages press "command and the letter N". This will open another internet window. Again, something else different them Windows (as compared to just clicking the IE icon and it will open a new window).

Switching to the Mac experience back in 2009 for the first time, was a good thing for me also. It made me feel excited using a computer again. I just got burned out with the whole Windows experience. I just couldn't get past how easy it was to use OS X and best of all no freeze ups of shutdowns like Windows (the nightmares of Windows ME still have me mad). Hopefully, some of this helped (still very much a Mac beginner myself). Please PM me if you have any other questions. Have a great day and may God bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

ronin67: Thanks for such a speedy reply. I got the iMac 21.5" with the i5. Pretty basic, but suits my needs.

I just got tired of Windows and MicroSoft, if it wasn't one thing, it was another. I has so much AV/Malware/Firewall stuff running it was unreal.

Sadly, all the software I own is not Mac compatible, but on the brighter side, I'm retired and I no longer have the need to create presentations, data bases or spreadsheets. Looks like I will need to get iWork or at least pages and numbers.

I have an iPad as well and love both platforms. A little silly to me that iPad apps don't work on a Mac and Mac apps don't work on the iPad.

I will say that setting up the Mac was so easy, my wife even commented that all must be going good. I asked why and she said "you haven't cussed yet."

As for the three windows, they weren't web pages, they were applications. I can't remember which they were, one for sure was iPhoto, maybe iTunes, and mail. Just not sure.

Again thanks for the feedback and the blessings!

sj
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
These may sound like stupid questions, but here goes.

That's an application. Some files like pdfs and images automatically open with Preview until you install some other application that you prefer. Personally, I'd drag it off the Dock. there's no good need to keep it there. It'll launch automatically when you open something that uses it.

Quote:
You *can*, but it's a lousy way to organize your files. The Dock is more accessible, and will show anything running but otherwise doesn't normally sit there. If you get used to Spotlight (CMD-Spacebar), you can quickly launch an app by typing its name. Or any file for that matter. If you really want "icons" on your desktop, at the least be sure that you don't save applications there. Make aliases, by right-clicking and select "Make Alias" in the menu. An alias is the same thing as a shortcut in Windows.

Quote:
Using Exposé. It's the F3 button by default.

A couple other things to remember… closing an application's window doesn't always Quit it. Use the keys CMD-Q or use the menu item to actually quit it entirely. OS X does it this way to keep a program running in the background until you are really really done with it, rather than constantly opening/quitting when working with documents one after another.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi tawcat

I know what you mean about multiple windows.

For example, open Safari by clicking on it (almost certainly in the Dock) and then open iPhoto and, say Mail or iTunes.

By default, the last opened is the one you see; but if you press F9 you will see miniatures of all these windows. Just click on any one of them to bring it to the front. Do this as often as you wish.

Another little trick is press & hold Cmd, then press the Tab key. This shows you every application you have currently open. Whilst holding down the Cmd key, you can toggle between the applications. Also, whilst still holding down the Cmd key, hold down the letter Q. This will quit all the applications one by one.

The Preview thing: if you highlight any file or image or PDF etc and the touch the Space Bar, it opens a preview of the file or whatever. You can even scroll through page after page whilst in preview. Hit the Space Bar again, and it closes. Neat.

By the way, there are no stupid questions. Everyone knows something and everyone is ignorant of many things. This forum is to disseminate knowledge.

Good luck.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Thanks to all. How wonderful to have a one reference resource.

I've got a lot to learn not only about Mac, but all these nifty wireless toys!!!!! And it all runs so smoothly

Next purchase will be a Mac Book Air for the wife!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Click on my signature below (Find Out How), and go through all the video tutorials there.... very informative and easy to follow. Enjoy
QUOTE Thanks
proof2006

proof2006 is on a distinguished road

Just got my first iMac today too! Haven't had much time to play around with it. Got the 27in lower model. Is the version of garage band that comes on it the full version?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes. When you purchase a new Mac it ships with the iLife suite pre installed. That means that iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes are already there. Unlike on the PC these are full versions of the programs not time/feature crippled demos.

There's quite a bit of good software pre-installed on the Mac. Not to blow my own horn but you might want to follow the link in my signature. It's a great magazine. When you get there do a quick search for my name. You'll find several articles recently about the software and features included with the Mac. While you're there the rest of the staff writes some interesting things as well.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
tawcat

Thanks slydude.

Proof2006, I believe SlyDude answered your question. Congrats on your new purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
proof2006

proof2006 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Yes. When you purchase a new Mac they ships with the iLife suite pre installed. That means that iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes are already there. Unlike on the PC these are full versions of the programs not time/feature crippled demos.

There's quite a bit of good software pre-installed on the Mac. Not to blow my own horn but you might want to follow the link in my signature. It's a great magazine. When you get there do a quick search for my name. You'll find several articles recently about the software and features included with the Mac. While you're there the rest of the staff writes some interesting things as well.
Thanks. Much different than windows where you get a bunch of crapware that you need to delete
QUOTE Thanks
Gadgetman

Gadgetman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27", 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram

Congratulations on your iMac.

I too miss having the "backspace" key to delete my text.

Darren
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Congratulations on your iMac.

I too miss having the "backspace" key to delete my text.
"Delete" key
QUOTE Thanks
Gadgetman

Gadgetman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27", 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
"Delete" key
That's what I meant.... Thanks!

Darren
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help: MacBook Pro or MacBook Air | iMac Internet problems, please help... (Airport) »