New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Oldish Imac G5 - powers itself off after about 30 mins

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexhc

alexhc is on a distinguished road

Good morning,

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice. I have an iMAC G5 bought in 2005. Its the old white 20" screen one without Isight and with 2 memory slots. It has devloped a fault where it just powers itself off after about 30 minutes. In the past I upgraded the memory from 1 x 256 Dimm to 2 x 512, and I read that sometime this fault is caused by memory so switched back to the old memory but problems still exists. Problem exists while browsng internet, playing cds etc, doesnt seem to be one particular thing that causes the problem, gut feel is that it could be an overheating problem ?

Its running a really old version of the OS but I didnt want to upgrade while this problem exists as I think it will fail half way through.

Any ideas what I can do ? Tried looking at official apple support but they say that the machine is too old for them. Do I cut my losses and look to replace or do I try and get this problem sorted.

Im in the UK.

Alex.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well your iMac is very fussy about compatible memory. Did you purchase from a Mac dealer or seller? You need low density modules and not cheaper high density PC memory, and what you are describing is exactly what occurs with the wrong memory.

Have a look at this link and check the specs of the memory you installed.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/3200DDR512/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Does your iMac G5 power off as in like pulling the power plug from the wall or Panic and display an error?

If it's power off might be the power supply.
QUOTE Thanks
alexhc

alexhc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses.

No, no error messages or anything it just powers off (like pulling the plug as you say).

I had read about the memory causing this so thats why I put the original back in, but the problem still happens with the original memory (which did work ok for at least 3 years). Original MAC bought from very respectable department store
The replacement memory was bought from an apple supplier (bit not apple itself) and found by my techie friend, but could still be an issue. Apple itself no longer stocks memory for this as its too old.

Anyone know how much, and how easy it is, to replace the power supply ?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yours is the Ambient Light Sensor model. What is the screen size? 20" or 17"? I will search around and see what I can find for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Config | G4 Graphite (AGP / Sawtooth) - CUDA re-set routine not working »