New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2011 imac 27 w/ SSD & LION


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
I (finally) ordered last saturday a 27" imac BTO with the SSD. MY FIRST MAC.
ETC 23rd of July (*gasp*)
Should I cancel the order and place it again to get Lion?
What is Apple's practice in this case? I don't want to be punished twice 1) waiting 6 weeks for SSD option and 2) having to pay $29.99 for Lion.
Any chance it will be uploaded already with Lion? (release date "July" is vague) - or can I get a free upgrade?

Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
OldJedi

 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 28, 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 17
OldJedi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Radeon HD 6970M 2GB,

OldJedi is offline
I'm in the same boat you are. I have heard that its not just the SSD forcing the delay, but its waiting on Lion. I hope thats true.

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. ~ Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,813
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
Should I cancel the order and place it again to get Lion?
Come on dude. You're probably paying around $1800+ for this computer...and you're concerned about not getting a super cheap $29 OS upgrade for free!

In reality...since your ship date & the date for the release of Lion are very very close...if Apple follows what they've done historically...the computer will either ship with Lion already installed, or you will get a free upgrade.

AND look at it this way. If there's currently a 6-week shipping delay for iMac's with your configuration...if you cancel your current order...and wait until July to place your iMac order again after Lion is released....what if there's still a 6 week shipping delay. Then you won't get your new iMac until possibly September!

I say just stick with your current order...and see what happens. And if you end up having to pay $29 for Lion...so what...$29 bucks is nothing compared what you paid for the computer!

Food for thought,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
well, yes, i am paying $3000 for this computer, but this is not the reason to throw away $30 for something in principle i would be entitled to.
- if indeed the wait is Lion related and not SSD related, it will be shipped with it.
- if the wait is purely SSD related, you would think that the supply chain for those items (although how can they have shortages on those?) will be fixed by then and therefore, a BTO order placed end of july would not be another 6 weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,813
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
well, yes, i am paying $3000 for this computer, but this is not the reason to throw away $30 for something in principle i would be entitled to.
Do what you gotta do! But "stressing" over a very very inexpensive $29 OS upgrade is really being petty. Which by the way you're not entitled to, since as of your order date of early June...(when you ordered the computer)...OS 10.6 is/was the latest OS version.

If Apple was charging it's historical OS upgrade price of $129...then I would be more in agreement with delaying your purchase to get the OS upgrade for free. But when the OS upgrade ONLY costs $29...I wouldn't worry about it.

But as I mentioned...Apple is a really good company...and will probably ship your computer with Lion already installed or a free upgrade (if Lion is released in July).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
- if the wait is purely SSD related, you would think that the supply chain for those items (although how can they have shortages on those?) will be fixed by then and therefore, a BTO order placed end of july would not be another 6 weeks.
If the delay in shipping is SSD related...you/we have absolutely no idea when that will be solved. Could be before the release of Lion...or it could be after. In any case...there will be a backlog of orders to fill.

That backlog could be 6 weeks or more by mid-July (your original shipping date)...so if you cancel your current order just to insure that you get a $29 OS upgrade for free...you're going to DEFINITELY delay getting your computer well past mid-July (just to save $29 bucks).

And trust me...Apple is NOT delaying the shipping of your iMac due to the release of Lion. If this was the case...then Apple would be delaying the shipping of ALL Macintosh computers. Believe me...this is certainly not the first time there has been a Mac OS upgrade...Apple DOES NOT delay the shipping of computers due to a pending OS upgrade release.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
Thank you. Let's see. I'd much prefer them moving the delivery date earlier and paying $29 indeed.
In any case, I was hoping for Lion to come with a 'SSD related' feature.
This is enabled in the new intel chipset and for instance you could imagine to have OS X manage automatically 'system & application->SSD' & 'data->HDD'. There were few rumors on this, but nothing on this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,813
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
Thank you. Let's see. I'd much prefer them moving the delivery date earlier and paying $29 indeed.
This is basically my main discussion point. If you could get your new iMac tomorrow (without Lion)...you would accept that deal in a heartbeat!

If you cancel your current order (just to insure getting the $29 Lion upgrade for free)...you're most definitely going to delay receiving your iMac even longer (probably at least 1-2 weeks). Instead of getting your iMac in mid-July (as it seems to be at the moment)...that would make it early August or later (especially if the SSD issue is not fully resolved).

So canceling your current order just to save $29 bucks (and delaying receiving your iMac till at least early August)...is not a good trade-off if you would prefer to get your new iMac as soon as possible.

And to be totally honest...there's no way I would wait 4-6 weeks just because of the SSD drive BTO option. Right now your iMac would ship in 1-2 days if you got a traditional HD. SSD drives are just wayyyy too expensive at the moment. In very little time SSD drives will most likely be half the price or lower.

So you're going to pay a ton of money for that SSD drive...AND you're going to have to wait a lot longer to get your new iMac. Personally I would cancel the order (or modify it) and get a traditional HD. Then you would have the computer by early next week. Then upgrade the iMac later on when SSD drives get less expensive.

Just my humble opinions,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
Hum, no, a little wait now for less wait later when booting etc
I have already a powerful PC (i7, 12gb/SSD), so I really do not need it NOW.
And SSD makes a big difference. Maybe not worth the price (I wish Apple had a 128gb only version)...but well worth the wait for sure
but please don't tempt me!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
if only you could just buy a 3.4 i7 from the macstore (they have it here) and stuff the SSD inside yourself...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,813
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
...but please don't tempt me!!!
Just trying to throw some ideas your way! I just wouldn't wait 4-6 weeks for a BTO SSD...when the same computer with a traditional HD would ship in 1-2 days.

Look at it this way:

- get the iMac by next week (if you ordered it with a traditional HD)
- or even get the iMac TOMORROW from your local Apple Store...if you have one near by (with a traditional HD)
- order yourself a 128gig SSD drive from OWC (macsales.com)...at a lower cost as well.
- upgrade the HD (SSD) yourself

Or do the SSD upgrade whenever you feel like it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
from what I have seen it is quite an exercise to swap disks on iMac. I built my own PCs, but opening and iMac, nahhh...
...I do not want to spoil my 'Mac' experience from day one :-)
come to think about it, yes, there are few products for which I would wait for a BTO for so long. Only did once before. For a german car..
anyway, I also ordered the 2gb video (well basically i maxed out the imac specs on my BTO)...and this they don't have in stock @ retail.

So will wait, hoping they are giving pessimistic/worst case dates :-)
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

 
IWT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2009
Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
Posts: 514
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

IWT is offline
A very short comment, made many times before by the UK members — count yourself luck in the US.

As a general rule, what you pay for anything from Apple in USD, we get charged nearly the same in GBP.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
A very short comment, made many times before by the UK members count yourself luck in the US.

As a general rule, what you pay for anything from Apple in USD, we get charged nearly the same in GBP.

Ian
Sorry mate, but I am not in the USA, living in Tokyo/Japan. I feel your pain.
It's always been like this in UK no?
1GBP=1EUR=1USD...
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

 
BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 24, 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,742
BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

BrianLachoreVPI is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
A very short comment, made many times before by the UK members count yourself luck in the US.

As a general rule, what you pay for anything from Apple in USD, we get charged nearly the same in GBP.

Ian

Hey - Apple is an American company (sort of) we should get some sort of break - after all - I pay here in the US about twice what I'd pay in the UK for a bottle of GlenLivet 25
QUOTE Thanks
xahhax

 
Member Since: May 30, 2011
Posts: 20
xahhax is on a distinguished road

xahhax is offline
we should be paying our apple in Chinese Yuan...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Recommend Suction Cups For Removing Screen | G5 and G4 printing trouble »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Can Macbook Pro 2011 Replace my 2010 iMac? montana13 Apple Notebooks 4 03-02-2011 01:43 PM
Trackpad for iMac looks fairly useful in Mac OS X Lion orbit79 OS X - Operating System 5 02-24-2011 08:25 PM
iMac 27", core i8, 250 Gb ssd, 2Tb storage angelo1971 Apple Desktops 4 12-11-2009 10:49 AM
Apple Pulls Plug on Original iMac schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 7 09-13-2006 04:38 PM
The New iMac (merged) EDIT-XTREEM Apple Desktops 7 07-21-2006 04:29 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?