Help with imac symptoms
    I have a 24" imac, 2.4, 4gb ram 320hd. Been having some problems and need some help in figuring out what to try next.

Symptoms:
    Tasks like unraring, unzipping, and adding stuff to itunes are causing the computer to beachball.
    Too many programs open, beachball.
    Even at times it will beachball when safari has too many tabs open.
    These often lead me to havingt ot leave the computer for 10-15 minutes to return back to normal, or the imac just completely locks up and needs to be hard reset.

What i have tried thus far:
    Disk utlity to repair volume came back and said that the hd was too damaged to repair and needed a reinstall.
    Upon trying to do an archive install, failed 3 times mid install.
    Completely wiped the drive and reinstalled ok.

Where I'm at:
    After moving some files back from a time machine version, the machine is still experiencing all the same problems (above).

Is this a drive problem? ram problem? or something else? Is there anything else that I can try on my own to diagnose?

Please help, thanks!

Specs:
    2010 27 iMac 2.93
    Well, with the reinstall, did you try running programs to see if it was beachballing still, if it wasn't, than its something in the files that you are time machine from. I would go with first with the new install, update, than try and see if you get the same symptoms, if you do, I would say that its a hardware problem. If all is well, than you time machine and your computer starts acting up again, its a software issue. Just my 2 cents.
    iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
    2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
    iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
    iPad 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Housekat View Post
    Well, with the reinstall, did you try running programs to see if it was beachballing still, if it wasn't, than its something in the files that you are time machine from. I would go with first with the new install, update, than try and see if you get the same symptoms, if you do, I would say that its a hardware problem. If all is well, than you time machine and your computer starts acting up again, its a software issue. Just my 2 cents.
    I tried to make a new user on the machine and the problem still happened. Once i saw that, I tried the reinstall and again problems started. I guess I'm just not sure where to start with hardware. Hard drive?

Specs:
    2010 27 iMac 2.93
    You wouldn't happen to still be under warranty, would you? You can also do the basics and check to see if the ram is seated properly before you go tearing it apart. But alas, it could be your harddrive, I know a few others on here are experts, just waiting for those chaps to chime in.
    iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
    2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
    iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
    iPad 16GB

Thread Information