New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac doesn't work after period of no use

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Expertus

Expertus is on a distinguished road

Hey all, my iMac has been at my house alone for 3-4 months while I was away. It was working perfectly fine before I left. When I returned home recently and tried to start it up it took much longer to get to the sign in screen then usual. When I logged in to my account it would show my desktop wallpaper but nothing else. The screen would flash now and then random bits of things and that's all. I could move the mouse on a blank flashing desktop.

Everything I had on the HDD was already copied over to a backup before I left, so I decided I was just going to try and reinstall the OSX and see if that would do anything. When I try to boot from the CD it just gets to the apple logo screen with the loading symbol beneath it and will stay like that for pretty much forever.

Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks a lot ^_^
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What year and model iMac do you have? Also include which version of OS X you're running.
QUOTE Thanks
Expertus

It's an early 2009 iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz; EMC: 2211
Running Snow Leopard 10.6.6
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Try running the Apple Hardware Test on your iMac using your Snow Leopard DVD.

Post back results.
QUOTE Thanks
Expertus

When I tried booting from the CD the computer either freezes at log in or the screen just goes black. I tried logging in a few times, because every time is different and I actually got the dock and menu bar to appear then the screen shot to grayish blue immediately afterwards.

So I don't believe I'll be able to perform the Apple Hardware Test, but I'll keep trying since it seems every time I turn on the computer something different happens.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

As an alternative, try booting the iMac is SAFE boot mode. Hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the POST chime. That boots the machine without most drivers (including sound - so don't be alarmed) and also does a disk check on the hard drive. Let's see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
Expertus

I tried going into safe mode, a gray loading bar appeared under the apple logo. The loading bar slowly went to about 2/3 then disappeared. A minute or so later the screen just went black. The screen has now been black for 10 minutes, then restarted again to the apple logo with the chime and all then minutes later went black again.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Things aren't sounding good, I'm afraid. Is your iMac covered by warranty (extended Apple care)? If it is, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them look at it.

Whatever is wrong with your iMac, it's beginning to sound like a hardware problem, one which may require expert repair. It's difficult to say what it could be. It may be something as simple as a bad hard drive, however, removing and swapping out a hard drive in an iMac is a rather difficult and involved task.
QUOTE Thanks
Expertus

I looked at the whole HDD thing earlier because I felt that was the problem at first, but I believe bringing into Apple was the best bet since there is really nothing you can troubleshoot with.

Thanks again for all the help ^_^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacMini HD Speed? | I am thinking to switch to iMac, need suggestion please? »