New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 won't see new WD 500gb HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

endurancerdr

endurancerdr is on a distinguished road

The hard drive in my older G5 (dual 2.0) has a bad block on the factory drive and will not allow my OS (running 10.5.4) to start up. I bought a new 500gb Western Digital SATA drive to put into the machine and it will not see the drive when I go to install the OS. I re-installed the OS into the old drive and it is working properly at this point but for how long I do not know. Is there anything special I need to do to get my machine to see this drive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pop the new drive into position two on your G5, assuming it is a tower, making sure it is set to slave jumper settings if needed. Go to Disk Utility and see if the drive is shown, then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your had drive to the new drive, then change the drives about so the new drive becomes the main hard drive, set to master if necessary.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97183

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
endurancerdr

endurancerdr is on a distinguished road

Thanks harryb, but my machine will not see the drive. From what I understand about SATA drives, you don't need to have the jumpers set correct? Although at this point I'll try it and see if it works. What do I use to set the jumpers. I know there are pins on the drive for doing this but there is nothing that i can see to put over the specific pins Forgive my ignorance as I'm rather new to all of this. I'm an operator not a tech so some tech things I just don't get sometimes.

Todd

Older G5 dual 2.0 GHz PPC, 2.5 gb memory, running 10.5.4.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Not a WD Green by chance? They are designed primarily for use as an external.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Also if the drive is a SATA II drive, it may be necessary to use the jumpers to throttle it back to SATA as reportedly not all are backwards compatible.

iMac 5,1 and a SATA II internal hard drive

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble disabling EFI password, accessing prompt | Can i use minidisplay port to HDMI for a external monitor? »