G5 won't see new WD 500gb HD
    The hard drive in my older G5 (dual 2.0) has a bad block on the factory drive and will not allow my OS (running 10.5.4) to start up. I bought a new 500gb Western Digital SATA drive to put into the machine and it will not see the drive when I go to install the OS. I re-installed the OS into the old drive and it is working properly at this point but for how long I do not know. Is there anything special I need to do to get my machine to see this drive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pop the new drive into position two on your G5, assuming it is a tower, making sure it is set to slave jumper settings if needed. Go to Disk Utility and see if the drive is shown, then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your had drive to the new drive, then change the drives about so the new drive becomes the main hard drive, set to master if necessary.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97183
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks harryb, but my machine will not see the drive. From what I understand about SATA drives, you don't need to have the jumpers set correct? Although at this point I'll try it and see if it works. What do I use to set the jumpers. I know there are pins on the drive for doing this but there is nothing that i can see to put over the specific pins Forgive my ignorance as I'm rather new to all of this. I'm an operator not a tech so some tech things I just don't get sometimes.
    Todd

Older G5 dual 2.0 GHz PPC, 2.5 gb memory, running 10.5.4.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Not a WD Green by chance? They are designed primarily for use as an external.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Also if the drive is a SATA II drive, it may be necessary to use the jumpers to throttle it back to SATA as reportedly not all are backwards compatible.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ard-drive.html
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information