No sound from Imac
    I have lost my internal speakers in my 6 month old Imac. In system prefs it only shows jawbone (bt) which works and headphones ( which are not plugged in and when plugged in do not work - changes to digital output) but no sound through headphones). Cannot get it to show internal speakers. At start up I do hear a very faint chime) Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by wbnjr View Post
    I have lost my internal speakers in my 6 month old Imac. In system prefs it only shows jawbone (bt) which works and headphones ( which are not plugged in and when plugged in do not work - changes to digital output) but no sound through headphones). Cannot get it to show internal speakers. At start up I do hear a very faint chime) Any thoughts?
    Download SoundSource and run that. You'll get a headphone icon in the menubar. What does it show you as Output options, and for System options?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Only shows Headphones and jawbone with headphones checked in both. yet no sound from headphones

Only shows Headphones and jawbone with headphones checked in both. yet no sound from headphones
    And when the headphones are unplugged and nothing else is plugged in, it still says Headphones? If so, you more than likely have a short related to that jack. Unfortunately I think you will have little choice but to give Apple a call.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

No headphones plugged in and even when I plug a set in there is still no sound coming from headphones. Time for a trip to Genius Bar I guess.

No headphones plugged in and even when I plug a set in there is still no sound coming from headphones. Time for a trip to Genius Bar I guess.
    Yah. Unfortunately these things happen. My AV unit in the living room had a similar issue… it "thought" the headphones were plugged in and cut sound off to the speakers. I sent it in for repairs and the ticket indicated that a contact point had to be re-soldered. Hopefully Apple will fix you up in a jiffy.

------
    ------

Thread Information