New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

humming speakers on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slam5

slam5 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, i have a VERY annoying problem here. I have a 24" iMac9,1. The first one that uses ddr3 type memory. it works completely fine EXCEPT it generates a very consistent hum on my speakers. I am using a pair of Monsoon MM900 2.1 speakers. It is getting so bad that I have to power off the speakers except when I am listening to music(that drown out the hum). The speaker is not the problem as I plug it in my unibody Macbook and the problem gone away. Also, it didn't hum when I hooked it up with my Core 2 Quad desktop. All my equipment is protect with a UPS. I did some research and people was suggesting it is a ground problem. I bought an very expensive ebtech ground filter. Nothing helps so far. Has anybody got any ideas? tx
QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Housekat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 27 iMac 2.93

Do you get the humming through your iMac speakers? Or just through the external speakers when you plug them in.

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
2010 Macbook 2.4 intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
iPhone 4S 16GB & iPhone 4S 32GB
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat View Post
Do you get the humming through your iMac speakers? Or just through the external speakers when you plug them in.
Just the external speakers. I hooked my macbook unibody and my thinkpad and the problem isn't there.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

You may want to try a ground noise filter. I've seen them run anywhere from $14-20 online, but I did find one on Ebay with a BuyItNow price of $5.

eBay (US) : 3.5mm Headphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter (item 280594919631 end time Jun-24-11 08:30:06 )
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
You may want to try a ground noise filter. I've seen them run anywhere from $14-20 online, but I did find one on Ebay with a BuyItNow price of $5.

eBay (US) : 3.5mm Headphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter (item 280594919631 end time Jun-24-11 08:30:06 )
I got one of these:

Ebtech HUM-X Exterminator Ground Loop AC Eliminator | eBay

and it didn't seem to help. I think I will try your suggestion. $ 7 is small change compared to my $ 68 that I spend already. tx

ps: will post the result once I try it
QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Its definitely something with your audio jack, you could also try a different pair of speakers and see if its just a freak of nature with the ones you currently have.

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat View Post
Its definitely something with your audio jack, you could also try a different pair of speakers and see if its just a freak of nature with the ones you currently have.
Yeah, but why would this problem not manifest in my macbook or thinkpad? I've another pair of speakers, i will try them today. tx
QUOTE Thanks
Housekat

Well, the audio output power could be different, just a thought and won't really hurt in testing

iMac 2.93 i7 8GB 5750
iPad 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

Sounds silly, but make sure the speaker plug is seated in all the way. Some plugs seat harder than others.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam5 View Post
Hi all, i have a VERY annoying problem here. I have a 24" iMac9,1. The first one that uses ddr3 type memory. it works completely fine EXCEPT it generates a very consistent hum on my speakers. I am using a pair of Monsoon MM900 2.1 speakers. It is getting so bad that I have to power off the speakers except when I am listening to music(that drown out the hum). The speaker is not the problem as I plug it in my unibody Macbook and the problem gone away. Also, it didn't hum when I hooked it up with my Core 2 Quad desktop. All my equipment is protect with a UPS. I did some research and people was suggesting it is a ground problem. I bought an very expensive ebtech ground filter. Nothing helps so far. Has anybody got any ideas? tx
I've never felt the need for ext. speakers on any of my Macs!!

The inbuilt ones sound great to me - and I do like good audio

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
I've never felt the need for ext. speakers on any of my Macs!!

The inbuilt ones sound great to me - and I do like good audio

well, these are monsoon flatpanel speakers. very good quality even that it hasn't been made in 6 years.
QUOTE Thanks
John T

John T will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21.5in iMac

Your problem sounds like an obvious earthing problem. The problem is most likely in the earthing of your speakers. Using a mains filter will have no effect on mains hum. The reason why you are not getting any hum when the speakers are connected to your laptop is because it is battery powered (and therefore isolated from the mains) and your iMac is obviously connected to the mains. Connecting your speakers to the iMac is obviously creating an earth loop.
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

well, i think you probably are absolutely correct. what do you think is a good solution? I absolutely love these speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
slam5

Come to think of it, I never had this problem when I was connected to my pc. Does the PC have better grounding than the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam5 View Post
Come to think of it, I never had this problem when I was connected to my pc. Does the PC have better grounding than the iMac.
It definitely sounds like a grounding issue - as has been pointed out. Have you tried a different outlet - for instance - the one that the PC was in that didn't exhibit the problem? Turn off lights - and any other appliance/electronics that may share that outlet's circuit.

It just wouldn't make any sense for the PC to have "better" grounding, not as a general statement, unless you happen to have a grounding issue with your particular iMac for some reason - or perhaps just your audio jack. Maybe your UPS is introducing the hum?? Try it without.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what would you suggest? | E-mail attachments »