New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac i3 for $1,099 or iMac i7 for $1,699?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Randax

Randax is on a distinguished road

Alright, so currently I have been into video editing, because I enjoy it a lot. But my current computer kinda stinks. And because I'm 15 and have nothing to do over the summer, I thought I would work towards getting a decent iMac.

Currently, I have a MacBook from 2006 with a 1.83 ghz c2d and 2gb of 667mhz ram. So really any upgrade will be better. But I would like to have a current generation iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and 4gb of ram. But it clocks in at $1,700. I also noticed a refurbished iMac with a 3.2ghz dual-core i3 and 4gb of ram. It comes to $1,100.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try to earn $1,700 in just 8 weeks, but that wouldn't be easy (because I'm only 15), so I'm thinking I should go for the i3. But I want a computer that will last for several years, and can still run some recent stuff, and hopefully will run Final Cut Pro X. Also, I want this computer to last me for at least 4 years and, again, still run recent stuff, because these computers are expensive, and I don't want to buy a new iMac every 2 years.

I can't decide, so help me: Should I go for the i3 for $1,100, or work extra harder and go for the i7 for $1,700?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randax View Post
Alright, so currently I have been into video editing, because I enjoy it a lot. But my current computer kinda stinks. And because I'm 15 and have nothing to do over the summer, I thought I would work towards getting a decent iMac.

Currently, I have a MacBook from 2006 with a 1.83 ghz c2d and 2gb of 667mhz ram. So really any upgrade will be better. But I would like to have a current generation iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and 4gb of ram. But it clocks in at $1,700. I also noticed a refurbished iMac with a 3.2ghz dual-core i3 and 4gb of ram. It comes to $1,100.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try to earn $1,700 in just 8 weeks, but that wouldn't be easy (because I'm only 15), so I'm thinking I should go for the i3. But I want a computer that will last for several years, and can still run some recent stuff, and hopefully will run Final Cut Pro X. Also, I want this computer to last me for at least 4 years and, again, still run recent stuff, because these computers are expensive, and I don't want to buy a new iMac every 2 years.

I can't decide, so help me: Should I go for the i3 for $1,100, or work extra harder and go for the i7 for $1,700?

Thanks.
You don't mention monitor size in your specs, so maybe this is of no great importance - or you missed it out ?

I bought new the i3 in the new 21" iMac, closely followed a month later by the i5 27" iMac.
Considering that the difference in price was only about 200 GBP - the 27" is the better value - it is also one of the new upgraded iMacs.

I would say - work your butt off - and get the best you can - it will last you years.
Good Luck !

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

At 600 bones, I would go for the i3, assuming it's a 27". If not, I would skip on both and wait for a cheaper refurb. 27" is a MUST in my opinion when getting an iMac...for me, it's like buying a car without a steering wheel. You should realize though, as you know, the i3's speed of 3.2ghz is not bad! Can't really compare to the i7, but it's not bad at all from my experience. 4 years will come and go in no time. I've had my mbp for 2 years(O.O) and still feels like I got it yesterday.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
At 600 bones, I would go for the i3, assuming it's a 27". If not, I would skip on both and wait for a cheaper refurb. 27" is a MUST in my opinion when getting an iMac...for me, it's like buying a car without a steering wheel. You should realize though, as you know, the i3's speed of 3.2ghz is not bad! Can't really compare to the i7, but it's not bad at all from my experience. 4 years will come and go in no time. I've had my mbp for 2 years(O.O) and still feels like I got it yesterday.
What are - "600 bones"?
Maybe it's an American expression - unfamiliar to we Europeans....?

I have the i5 in my new iMac 27"and the i3 in my pre-relaunch iMac 21'..

I can't imagine how the i7 could go any faster !

Some folk don't have the space for a 27"set-up !

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Could an iMac be used as a media centre to replace a livingroom TV... | Mac Issues »