New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Could an iMac be used as a media centre to replace a livingroom TV...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

...via some Apple-TV-like suite of Apps?

The thought just occurred as I've currently got my TV connected to my PC as a secondary monitor, using it as a makeshift media centre.

I had the idea of using a 27 inch iMac, with a Bluetooth keyboard & Magic trackpad as a replacement for a TV, to kill two birds with one stone at less cost...

(Or, failing that, a Mac Mini & HDTV combo, with the same wireless controls...)

Would this be feasible, or would a separate Apple TV & HDTV be best, despite the greater cost of having a separate computer & media server?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If you have a good-sized HDTV and don't feel the need to replace it, I'd do the Mac Mini+HDTV combo. You get a larger screen and have the TV tuner already available. It isn't easy to get TV channel reception on a computer. There's sites like HULU where you can watch shows from 24 hours ago, but not where you can flip channels like you do with an actual TV. Plus, it's a cheaper solution than an iMac.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

Cool cool, in that case is an Apple TV ever really worth getting? (I know this is straying a little from the topic of this board, but it seems appropriate to continue in the same thread.)

I must admit I've never entirely understood the purpose of them. If they had a full version of iOS & so could be used as a sort-of lite desktop I'd understand; but it's always seemed to me that - despite the much higher cost - if you're going to connect a computer to your TV, you may as well make it a full desktop & so be able to use it for any & all computer functions, not just streaming media...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not everyone can afford (or want the expense) of a computer dedicated to sitting on their TV.

$99 is within the reach of a whale of a lot more folks than the $600-$1200 or more it's going to cost with a good HTPC.

I would guess those purchasing the $100 units from the AppleTV to the Roku to the Sony Digital player to the WDLive are wondering why the rest of us would spend $1000 to do the same thing they're doing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

Yeah, I see your point...
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarrison View Post
Cool cool, in that case is an Apple TV ever really worth getting? (I know this is straying a little from the topic of this board, but it seems appropriate to continue in the same thread.)

I must admit I've never entirely understood the purpose of them. If they had a full version of iOS & so could be used as a sort-of lite desktop I'd understand; but it's always seemed to me that - despite the much higher cost - if you're going to connect a computer to your TV, you may as well make it a full desktop & so be able to use it for any & all computer functions, not just streaming media...
I have both - an Apple TV - Mk.1 version with the onboard 160gb hard drive-and a Windows Packard Bell iMedia PC I bought to use with my main 46" Samsung LED HDTV.
It's nice to have the on-screen large size worktop and Net facility, and also to watch BBC iPlayer services which are designed for smaller screen p.c.'s, and to be able to use the 1TB hard drive plus my other externals - to watch movies or play my iTunes library through the separate Samsung speakers etc
But - in all honesty - I find the Apple TV SO CONVENIENT for streaming my many films from 5 Macs - so for me, Apple TV is an Essential component of my system

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Too much to ask? | iMac i3 for $1,099 or iMac i7 for $1,699? »