New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

an older Power PC version, yes, but you can install Ubuntu on any PC. The thing that makes the Mac special is OSX. If you want to try a linux for it, I can find you one.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Acrilyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Got me...I don't mess around with that "funky" stuff!

- Nick
D: Darnit. Haha.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
an older Power PC version, yes, but you can install Ubuntu on any PC. The thing that makes the Mac special is OSX. If you want to try a linux for it, I can find you one.
Well if you can find me one, please do. And I agree, OSX is amazing and wonderful. I love Tiger, also. But it won't do what I want it to. But, I'm still greatly happy with the PowerMac.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

What won't Tiger do that you need? Just curious.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What won't Tiger do that you need? Just curious.
I'm running a game server (minecraft) on it, but it isn't compatible, or, it's just not working and I can't seem to find a fix.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

I don't mean to de-rail, but I love threads like this. What is it about Mac people that we will buy nearly-obsolete computers, essentially, just to have one more Mac in our homes? I'm "this close" to buying another eMac to replace the one I accidentally killed. The 1.42 GHz eMac is a bad*** machine.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I don't mean to de-rail, but I love threads like this. What is it about Mac people that we will buy nearly-obsolete computers, essentially, just to have one more Mac in our homes? I'm "this close" to buying another eMac to replace the one I accidentally killed. The 1.42 GHz eMac is a bad*** machine.
So true, I want to buy me a G5 next! then a iMac or something!

EDIT: Because so many companies manufacture PC's, Only one manufactures Macs! That's what I love about Apple, they depend on themselves!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I would listen to the mods on this one! I have a dual 533mhz G4 that I installed OSX10.5 with Leopard Assist, and it was unbearable. Went back to 10.4 right away. It's also not even worth the upgrades to make it any faster, when something better doesn't cost much more than the price of the g4 + whatever upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I don't know. I personally just like to have them since they have been reliable from my experience growing up. I have 1 PowerMac G4, 2 PowerMac G5's, and a Macbook Pro. If I get another old Mac, it's probably going to be a 12" PowerBook...love those things!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I would listen to the mods on this one! I have a dual 533mhz G4 that I installed OSX10.5 with Leopard Assist, and it was unbearable. Went back to 10.4 right away. It's also not even worth the upgrades to make it any faster, when something better doesn't cost much more than the price of the g4 + whatever upgrade.
Yeah, I'll probably buy a G5 or something!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
I'm running a game server (minecraft) on it, but it isn't compatible, or, it's just not working and I can't seem to find a fix.
Haha, good to see another Minecraft player on these Forums. Anyway, the short answer to your question is that your Machine is too slow to run a minecraft server. No amount of ram is going to help that, and even if you could get it to work, you're gonna lag unbelieveably. Heck, my iBook can't even play the game itself, nevermind host a server and I have nearly 3x the processing speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Haha, good to see another Minecraft player on these Forums. Anyway, the short answer to your question is that your Machine is too slow to run a minecraft server. No amount of ram is going to help that, and even if you could get it to work, you're gonna lag unbelieveably. Heck, my iBook can't even play the game itself, nevermind host a server and I have nearly 3x the processing speed.
I actually fixed it to run, it's not laggy at all when I tried it on my MPB with the server coming from the Powermac, the only reason it needs RAM is because objects are coming back when I destroy them, haha. I dont know if it will work out, but, we shall see!

And also, the actual Minecraft Game takes up a lot of processing power, all the server mainly runs off of is RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
sooo, what about linux or ubuntu?
I haven't tried linux (ubuntu is also linux) on a Mac since before OSX. But I use linux in my work every day.
You will be pleased with YouTube and flash and other browser support, and CPU response, etc. But you will be disappointed if you need the convenience of iPhone/iPad/iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac mini connect to tv | trouble disabling EFI password, accessing prompt »