New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro MA356LL/A Upgrades?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gbryant

gbryant is an unknown at this point

I want to see the 'specific' upgrade options for my new (to me) Mac Pro.
Anyone know of a website that would be good for this?
All the websites I've visited so far have too many options for my tiny brain... I can't tell if I'm buying a part for a 2010 pro or mine... or does it matter?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Perhaps if you told us exactly what you would like to upgrade on your Mac Pro one of our members who is familiar with the Pro could assist.
QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

first, an Airport card & blutooth card
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And what model Mac Pro is it? Go to About this Mac > More Info > Hardware and second line will say it is a Mac Pro 101, 2.1, 3.1 etc. Different models use different memory etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

mac pro 1.1
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to OWC who offer lifetime guarantees with their memory, and believe me they do honor it all the way down here to Australia.

Mac Pro Memory

Also consider an SSD also from OWC, such as the Mercury Extreme. After that we can talk graphic cards and processor updates.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

This is what I have.... (well... arriving tomorrow)

Mac Pro 3 Ghz Dual Core , 1 gig memory, 250 gig hd, MA356LL/A

It is my first Mac, I bought it used from Teksavers , Austin, TX.

I'm from the pc world, but I like the macs interface and want to try it .... I just didn't want to invest $2500 into it.
Can I upgrade this? Do I need to? (other than more memory) It comes with Leopard 10.5 , I purchased Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to upgrade to.

As you can tell. I'm a pc guy drowning in Mac soup... throw me a line...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Have heavily upgraded my 1.1 Mac Pro, but apart from boosting memory to say 4GB, there is nothing you need to do immediately. Optional things include the Bluetooth and Airport cards, SSD hard drive, and a faster more powerful graphics card. Also later you can install Quad Core processors if you wish to do so.

What is handy is a set of the original install discs that came with the machine, OS X.4.7 which includes Apple Hardware Test, a great trouble shooting utility. Also when you get the Snow Leopard discs, erase the drive and do a clean install so it is as you would like it.

Manuals are available online from Apple if they do not come with the Mac Pro. Just do a Google search 'Apple Manuals'.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#desktopcomputers

Also this link contains handy reading:-

Apple Canada - Pro - Pro Tips

QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

Thank you Harry. I am planning on 4 or maybe 8 gig of memory, a ssd , it already has
(2) 3 ghz dual core processors. I am unsure which airport card to buy... I want wireless internet and blutooth.
I don't think it is arriving with the original discs, but I purchased a retail copy of Snow Leopard. Thank you for the links, I had already found the manuals.... but the second link is very helpful.

Greg
QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

Got my Mac Pro yesterday... pretty cool! I upgraded to Snow Leopard... breeze.
It's fast! Even with 1 gig... I'm looking to upgrade to a min of 4gig, any good deals out there? Also.... the apple SSD is $1200 Is there an alternative?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Try OWC for memory from my earlier link. Today they have some memory for Mac Pro 1.1 on special so be quick. Do not buy an SSD from Apple. Suggest using say a 60GB SSD from OWC again, and the joy of a Mac Pro is you can install a 7200rpm backup drive in position 2,3 or 4 and use that for a lot of your storage.

QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

OK... I received my Airport card and blutooth card today.... installed them... now what? The software seems to know they are installed , but neither operate properly. The wireless card wants to connect to another computer... I want it to connect to my time machine...
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Smiley

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

If you do a search of problems with Airport for our Mac Pros, there was a problem with the antenna cables being incorrectly identified.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...t-1044884.html

QUOTE Thanks
gbryant

I finally found this...

http://meanderingpassage.com/2007/07...intel-mac-pro/

I did not know about the ant. wires....

Thanks Harry...

BTW: thank you to the hundreds of people who choose not to help....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Airport Issues | upgrade went wrong »