New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac spits out DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SnowmanSimon

SnowmanSimon is on a distinguished road

I can read the snow leopard DVD but Im trying to install photoshop and my 24" iMac ejects the DVD. Im assuming Photoshop is on a DVD and not a CD. There is no marking on the disk telling which it is and snow leopard says DVD so im trying to read the same format and one works and the other doesn't. Photoshop lightroom 3 says windows/mac os on the disk.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It doesn't make any difference if the media is a CD or DVD, if it's not being read and instead is ejected, then something is either wrong with the disk or your superdrive. Look the disk over for any scratches or marks. You might also try cleaning the superdrive. To clean the drive, buy a can of compressed air and blow a couple of bursts into the drive. Then try reading the disk again.
QUOTE Thanks
MunkeyQ

MunkeyQ will become famous soon enough

Yep, I agree - good chance it might be dust.

If the rollers can't suck the disc in fully, closing a microswitch, the drive times out and reverses the motor, ejecting the disc. Cleaning the dust away from the switch and rollers on the left of the drive slot (looking at it as if the computer's laid screen-down) can solve this. If not, it's new drive time unfortunately.
QUOTE Thanks
SnowmanSimon

SnowmanSimon is on a distinguished road

Do you think dust is the problem? I can read snow leopard then switch out to lightroom and it doesn't work. Lightroom is new and has no damage to the disk.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for picking up a new drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanSimon View Post
Do you think dust is the problem? I can read snow leopard then switch out to lightroom and it doesn't work. Lightroom is new and has no damage to the disk.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for picking up a new drive.
I would definitely try cleaning the drive first before spending money on a new one. Swapping out an optical drive in an iMac is a fairly involved task.

A new optical drive for your iMac can be purchased from the folks at Powerbook Medic. Here's the LINK. The drive is $89.95
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backup strategy for 2TB iMac | turn off imac display »