View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
    Exclamation Mac Desktop overheating
    Hello I own a newer Mac desktop that gets very how after being used for a long period of time (like 2 hours depending on what I'm doing) I was wondering if this is normal and how hot it would need to get for damage to be done?

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    define hot please
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
    CPU, GPU temperatures please.

Specs:
    iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
    Your mac knows when it's too hot. It is designed to run up to a certain temperature, designed by apple engineers. If it gets too hot, it will shut its self down. There is no need to worry about the temperatures of your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Masta View Post
    Your mac knows when it's too hot. It is designed to run up to a certain temperature, designed by apple engineers. If it gets too hot, it will shut its self down. There is no need to worry about the temperatures of your computer.
    The 'too hot' threshold is arbitary. If it's running its fans at full speed all the time, trying to keep cool, something's not right.

Also, running at very high temperatures (but not deemed high enough for damage by said Apple engineers) will cause solder joints on BGA chips to fracture over time. A common failure mode for many logic boards on both Mac and small form factor PCs.

Specs:
    Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
    I'm not sure if my computer has fans because i never hear them, and Dutchlimits I am not sure how to find out what my cpu gpu temperatures are, but it's hot enough to hurt my hand not so much that i have to pull it away though.

It definitely has fans, although they're very quiet when the computer's not doing much as their speed is temperature controlled. When you do something CPU intensive like encode a video, you should hear them spin up.

This neat widget will tell you the temps:
    Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Temperature Monitor Widget Edition

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by PcKiller View Post
    I am not sure how to find out what my cpu gpu temperatures are, but it's hot enough to hurt my hand not so much that i have to pull it away though.
    iStatMenus 2.0 should help you out. Dont upgrade or update to the newer version as it goes paid at some stage. This is still free. Sits in you Menu bar for your convenience.

This is the paid .v3 but works the same for this version.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    I was wondering if Temperature Monitor was an accurate app because i just downloaded it here is a sceenshot Picture 1.png sorry it kinda small

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    those temps are all well within a normal range. What makes you think it's 'hot' in the first place?

btw, they all probably just parse ioreg output anyway.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    How 'newer' and what model desktop?

Have a look at smcFanControl which will speed up fans on an Intel machine. Always helps if you provide the model and operating system.

http://www.eidac.de/?p=134
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I would love to understand this obsession with temperatures. Newsflash: Computers generate heat - and the more powerful they get, the hotter they run. Apple does a pretty good job mitigating the thermal output of their machines relative to the rest of the industry. If you want to see a machine that truly runs hot, I'd submit my 2003 vintage Dell Inspiron 8200. Relative to that machine, my i7 MacBook Pro is an ice cube.

If you've got an overclocked gaming rig, that's one thing.... a pedestrian iMac or MacBook doesn't need to be monitored for the most part. I do agree however, that if the fans are on at max RPM 24/7, there might be a problem - but for the most part, enjoy your machine and allow it to work as it was designed.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    The tempatures that I displayed were not at a time that I though the computer was how, I've just never had a Mac desktop before and I was surprised at how hot it was getting. Thanks for all the posts.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by PcKiller View Post
    The tempatures that I displayed were not at a time that I though the computer was how, I've just never had a Mac desktop before and I was surprised at how hot it was getting. Thanks for all the posts.
    Hot not how second line

Thread Information