New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

bless tool?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madmike101

madmike101 is an unknown at this point

Hello,

I have an older Mac Pro (Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz) running 10.6.6
with a 250 Gb hard drive. I recently needed to switch out an internal drive from my Drobo. So I added this 1Tb drive to my Mac Pro, used the disk utility to erase it and then restore all the data from my 250 to it. So far so good. But when I tried to select the 1Tb as my startup disk in system preferences, I get this message:

"You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

The guys at the genius bar had a few ideas, none of which worked. Any ideas anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Did you format & install an OS on the 1 terabyte drive?

If you did format it...did you use Apple's "Disk Utility" to do the formatting...and if so, what format method/scheme did you use?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
madmike101

Hi,

I used the disk utility. First I erased the disk, then I used the "restore" command and used the 250 as the source and the 1Tb as the destination. I do forget what prompts I was given, one was "initialize" and I clicked ok.

The 1Tb now has a 3 or 4 more Gb on it that the 250 Gb drive.

I just did notice in the disk utility program that it has "no" in the "owners enabled" part in the bottom left.

?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike101 View Post
Hi,

I used the disk utility. First I erased the disk, then I used the "restore" command and used the 250 as the source and the 1Tb as the destination. I do forget what prompts I was given, one was "initialize" and I clicked ok.

The 1Tb now has a 3 or 4 more Gb on it that the 250 Gb drive.

I just did notice in the disk utility program that it has "no" in the "owners enabled" part in the bottom left.

?
I asked 3 questions...you only answered 1. Need more info in order to help...and understand what was & wasn't done so far.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
madmike101

I did not per se install the OS onto the disk.
I merely used the restore command in disk utility.
I kept clicking the prompts I got to intialize it, but I can not remember what they were
Basically the prompts were not what the geniuses told me so I was a bit confused during the process.
Would it be easier for me to start this process all over again?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I merely used the restore command in disk utility.

Would it be easier for me to start this process all over again?
I'm not sure you can use the "restore" command on a brand new hard drive...if you're not restoring from a "Time Machine" backup...or other HD backup made from another application.

In other words...if your previous 250gig HD was not a "Time Machine backup" I don't think you can restore from a "regular" boot HD.

Can you explain further what you're trying to do with these two HD's (the 250gig & 1000gig)?

- Do you want to have two HD's in your Mac Pro?
- Do you want to make the 1000gig drive your boot drive & use the 250 gig in a different computer?
- If keeping both drives in the Mac Pro...Why not keep the 250gig as your boot drive?

Just trying to understand what your goal(s) are.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
madmike101

My original 250 Gb is getting a bit full (220 or so used)
I have a Drobo Raid and I needed to swap out a 1Tb for a 2Tb (I'm a pro photographer/videographer) to get some more room there so I thought I'd take the 1Tb from the Drobo and use it as a startup disk in my Mac. That way I'd only have a quarter of it filled up. I figured my system would run faster that way.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My original 250 Gb is getting a bit full (220 or so used)
I have a Drobo Raid and I needed to swap out a 1Tb for a 2Tb (I'm a pro photographer/videographer) to get some more room there so I thought I'd take the 1Tb from the Drobo and use it as a startup disk in my Mac. That way I'd only have a quarter of it filled up. I figured my system would run faster that way.
Ok...understandable. Referring to my earlier post. I don't think you can do a "restore" from a HD (your 250gig) that wasn't a backup to start with.

I think that what you have to do with your 1000gig drive is:

1. Boot your Mac Pro from your OS install disk
2. Format the 1000 gig drive with Disk Utility (Mac OS extended - Journaled)
3. Install the OS
4. Reboot the computer from the newly formatted & OS installed 1000gig HD
5. Install the programs/applications you use onto the 1000gig drive (you may still be able to run many of them from the 250 gig drive depending on each applications serial number/registration)
6 If you're only going to keep the 1000 gig drive in the Mac Pro...then you would have to copy over (manually) all the files you need.

Another option is trying to use "Migration Assistant" (after step #4)...this would help with "migrating" apps. & files. I haven't used it very much...so I'm not sure how well it works.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
madmike101

Thanks, Nick.
I'll let you know how it works out

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Ok...understandable. Referring to my earlier post. I don't think you can do a "restore" from a HD (your 250gig) that wasn't a backup to start with.

I think that what you have to do with your 1000gig drive is:

1. Boot your Mac Pro from your OS install disk
2. Format the 1000 gig drive with Disk Utility (Mac OS extended - Journaled)
3. Install the OS
4. Reboot the computer from the newly formatted & OS installed 1000gig HD
5. Install the programs/applications you use onto the 1000gig drive (you may still be able to run many of them from the 250 gig drive depending on each applications serial number/registration)
6 If you're only going to keep the 1000 gig drive in the Mac Pro...then you would have to copy over (manually) all the files you need.

Another option is trying to use "Migration Assistant" (after step #4)...this would help with "migrating" apps. & files. I haven't used it very much...so I'm not sure how well it works.

HTH,

- Nick
You can definitely restore a HDD from your OS drive to use as your new OS drive. It might have just been an error with the copy. You could try using a different clone tool like carbon copy cloner or Super Duper.

Also does the computer boot from the disk is you hold down option on boot and select it?

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
PavelM

PavelM is on a distinguished road

To completely clone the disk with Disk Utility, you may want to load from
distribution DVD, and use *that* Disk utility, instead of new install.
It should help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac boot problem | powermac g4 mirror drive door dual processor in a powermac g4 quicksilver »