New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Spacing out Imac...mouse has mind of its own!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Makuro

Makuro is on a distinguished road

Recently i have noticed my imac has been soo slow when responding to actions when i try to navigate around. It's like it has a mind of its own. I will click on something once and nothing will happen and i would have to keep clicking untill it gives in like 10 clicks later(its like my comp is daydreaming).

Usually when i click on things once it does several extra clicks for me which is so frustrating! Especially when im trying to transfer music, pics, etc to my flash drive/ipod It opens everything i highlighted and ruins my whole experience and repeats itself when i try again. When im on the internet and want to go back a page it takes me several pages back wtf. Copying and pasting is such a pain...

I have tried shutting down/restarting and in the past it has worked once but now it has affect. So im wondering if anyone else has had the same problems i have had and what can i do to fix it. Is there anyone out there who can help me? O_o i will provide more info if needed!

I have a Imac and had it since late 06. I also have about 30-40 gigs left lol
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

If your hard disk is 500Gb then you're getting very close to the recommended minimum free space. Try removing files to cd/DVD/hard drive and/or delete unused apps. Delete trash, reboot and then see what happens.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
If your hard disk is 500Gb then you're getting very close to the recommended minimum free space. Try removing files to cd/DVD/hard drive and/or delete unused apps. Delete trash, reboot and then see what happens.
i dont have that many apps i dont use. I wish i could put some apps on a disc but my tray is broken =/ ill give it a try though thank you!

max GB on here is 152 and i used about 117gb. Im a music producer so i have quite alot of sounds but, that shouldnt interfere too much.

is there any other ways?
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

A mac with a tray for disks? What imac do you have? All recent ones to my knowledge are trayless.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

oh yea sorry it doesnt have a tray. Theres an opening on the right side which i do not know the word for it though, but thats broken lol
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Slot loader and they have very high failure rates alas.

Go into System Preferences assuming you are using a Mac mouse, and change the mouse settings. If these fail you can install other mouse software so keep us posted?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

i see yea kinda like what the ps3 has. The problem with that is that i can put cds in it but my mac will not read the cd =/ That will cost around $300 and what sucks the most is my apple care ran out a month b4 it happened lol

Im using a wireless mouse and the batteries are still good, but i dont think its the mouse...

At the moment its acting normal (as in instantly responding to commands and not doing any more unnecessary things) which is weird since i didnt do anything..yet.

Im going to keep you updated on my situation when it changes again =] feel free to post more tips. So far thanx for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Best settings for a Magic Mouse in my experience is:-

Tracking .. second fast position in System Preferences

Scrolling .. third SLOWEST setting

Double Click .. third FASTEST setting

Do not use any of the highest speed settings as you will find double clicking will not work, scrolling will be mad all over the place and tracking goes mad! If these do not improve things, try install MouseZoom.

http://benh57.com/mousezoom.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

Its acting up again and no doubt about it im starting to think its my processing speed. It must be lagging! Does anyone else think thats a possibility?

how can i fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

No not processor. Try Repairing Permissions if other suggestions have not worked. And when you say it is not the batteries, at under 35% capacity they can play up.

QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

hmm and thats in disk utility right?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yes Disk Utility, select operating system name and click Repair Permissions.

QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

mkay and what am i looking for when i do that?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Nothing. Just let it run and hope there is an improvement.

QUOTE Thanks
Makuro

hmmm nothing changed... do i have to restart? i shut/restart my comp about once a week and everything is fine once i turn it back on (sometimes). Theres no way to really tell that repairing my disk and restarting will solve the problem ya know?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password issues | Mac Mini Memory upgrade issues... »