New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

WHY is the CAPS. LOCK Light So Dodgy ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

All of my iMacs have unreliable caps. locks lights !

I find myself typing lower case instead of upper - and vice versa..
Often - the light goes out completely for periods !

Why - when Apple are usually such sticklers for getting things right - does this happen - anyone ?

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

I did mean the wireless keyboards !

My wired one never has this problem.

Although the wireless keyboards DO have a caps lock light !
Unlike the 2 wireless 'Windows' keyboards I have essentially for my 2 other pc's !

One thing though that Windows wireless keyboards DO have over Mac ones - is they enable you to do 'block changes by highlighting' - like when I want to raise the volume level of lots of new stuff imported into iTunes music library - or to series deletions !
Wish the Macs had this feature !

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
One thing though that Windows wireless keyboards DO have over Mac ones - is they enable you to do 'block changes by highlighting' - like when I want to raise the volume level of lots of new stuff imported into iTunes music library - or to series deletions !
You mean like shift-arrow?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

All I can say is that I've not yet experienced any problems with the Caps Lock light on any of my wireless keyboards and I currently use two and had a third previously.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

pedropete - you definitely have a lot of gripes. you need to stop complaining and start enjoying the good things about your computer!

FWIW, my caps lock keys have always been mega dodgy (and I also have two Macs). i cant get used to using the shift key. Its because on Apple keyboards the caps lock key has a slow response time. I always hit it too fast and it doesn't activate properly.

Thing is, Apple arent exactly the greatest when it comes to making keyboards anyway. adequate, yes, but not amazing.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

How fast are you guys hitting the Caps Lock. If I do it at a reasonable rate it always lights and works. For fast use I have always used the Shift key on the side I am typing. Same with a Windows machine.

The CAPS lock key is NOT a Shift key. It's for enabling Caps lock for a period of typing. The Shift keys are for use with just one letter. Its' been that way for my 20+ years of computers now.
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
pedropete - you definitely have a lot of gripes. you need to stop complaining and start enjoying the good things about your computer!

FWIW, my caps lock keys have always been mega dodgy (and I also have two Macs). i cant get used to using the shift key. Its because on Apple keyboards the caps lock key has a slow response time. I always hit it too fast and it doesn't activate properly.

Thing is, Apple arent exactly the greatest when it comes to making keyboards anyway. adequate, yes, but not amazing.
No gripes really-just queries!

Just seemed the opportune place to find out whether my experiences are shared by others or not !
Can't discuss with mates-as they're all windows users!

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The CAPS lock key is NOT a Shift key. It's for enabling Caps lock for a period of typing. The Shift keys are for use with just one letter. Its' been that way for my 20+ years of computers now.
Lol, its just the way i have gotten used to typing. I just prefer to whack the the caps lock key quickly *on* letter *off*. most windows keyboards allow me to do that. i guess its just bad practice.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I hope it did not come off like I was jumping on anyone. The Caps lock on many of my Widows machines does not respond to rapid fire usage either. I can hit it here And IT's fine as long as I don't try and type 100WPM on the Caps lock key! Grin Just did it in my message here.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I hope it did not come off like I was jumping on anyone.
of course not mate. and you are right, 100wpm on the caps lock isnt good. I hate using it, but its a habit I have gotten into. i wish i could break it, you may notice I don't capitalise much in my posts. Thats part laziness, part inability to use shift.

im a relatively fast typer aswell, but i cant get the hang of the one simple keystroke!

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

firstly.... awww, love how it all goes nice in the end

For me, the only time I use caps lock is when I accidentally hit it when I'm aiming for shift and then I have to reach for that delete key.
Personally, I'd prefer if there was no caps lock!

I know, my 2cents worth isn't always worth 2cents, but that's all I've got
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No problems here with the caps lock light either.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
They do.

You can hold the 'Shift' key whilst selecting the first then last entry of the block you wish to change, alternatively you can hold the 'Command' key and toggle individual files. Also, in Finder you can simply pick up as many files as you wish by holding the mouse/trackpad key and swiping across the files.

There's many ways to select a block of files, and all ways are common across most applications.

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Needed ASAP! | iMac g4 display »