New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac g4 DVD drive and other issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derekblock

derekblock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro , 2.4ghz, 200gb HD, 4GB RAM; PowerBook G4 12".

Hey guys it's been a while,
Anyway, I have an old PowerMac G4 that I bought on eBay a while ago and I just now started to try and get it working. I installed a new hard drive and DVD drive. I'm not sure if the jumpers are set correctly but I assume they are. I have turned the machine on and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen. I've read to reset the PMU which I've done, but it doesn't seem to work. The battery next to it may be the problem.
Also, I have opened the disc drive with the keyboard eject button and that works, but when I put a disc in it makes a sound then spits the disc out. I'm not sure what that problem may be, if it ends up being an expensive problem I'm just going to give up on it haha.

MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, 200gb HD, mid 2008
PowerBook G4 12"
A Windows PC for everything else
iPhone 5C in white
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekblock View Post
I installed a new hard drive and DVD drive. I'm not sure if the jumpers are set correctly but I assume they are. I have turned the machine on and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen.
You didn't mention installing the OS...you did install an OS on that new hard drive?

Could you also elaborate on what you mean by..."nothing displays on the screen"? Sometimes nothing is really not nothing.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
derekblock

When I power on the machine I can hear the chime. Then the light kind of flashes on and off but my monitor never turns on. I know the monitor works. And as far as the OS, I tried to install tiger but it spit the disc out

PowerBook G4 12"
iPhone 5C in white
QUOTE Thanks
derekblock

It seems like it's goin to turn on. Meaning the monitor turns on but only stay on for a moment then says it's going to sleep. Could it be the video card?

PowerBook G4 12"
iPhone 5C in white
QUOTE Thanks
derekblock

Ok now this is odd. I turned off the machine and popped the tiger install disc in. Rebooted to disc. The same thing happened so I thought. I waited a moment longer and the screen came on. But the picture is very distorted and there's no color. Is there a way to post pics?

PowerBook G4 12"
iPhone 5C in white
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekblock View Post
Is there a way to post pics?
Of course there is...you just got to know how.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HDD questions | Can someone identify this G4 Model? »