New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External HDD questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Noonan

Noonan is on a distinguished road

A few months ago I bought a 2TB external HDD for my 2007 aluminum iMac. My intentions for this HDD seemed simple - I wanted to keep my music on the external HDD and have my iTunes pull it from the external HDD as it was being played. I installed the HDD, and I moved my music over. I some how went about doing it the wrong way because iTunes could no longer find any of the music - even when I was trying to open the mp3s from the right HDD.

I ended up moving all of the music back and returning the HDD.. this resulted in some how creating doubles of certain (not all) mp3s.

Today I noticed I have about 20GB left until my internal HDD is full. I need to get an HDD but I am confused about how to move the music over and afraid of wasting $100.. Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Read through this article which shows how to move your iTunes library. Additionally, Apple has basically the same instructions for doing so in their knowledge base articles.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi Noonan

You could also read this Apple Support article on exactly the same thing - how to move your iTunes folder.

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram Upgrade with Filevault? | PowerMac g4 DVD drive and other issues »