New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

turn off imac display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jiggy

Jiggy is on a distinguished road

On my old Mac Pro I had an option to turn the monitor off without shutting down the Mac or putting it in sleep mode.

Is there also such an option on my iMac? The best solution I can find is putting it to sleep to turn the display off, but that's not permanent. More like a screensaver. When someone clicks a much, presses a keyboard key or touches the mouse, the display turns on again. Isn't there a way to make the power button work like a display on/off button?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since the iMac attempts not to differentiate between the computer and display, you can turn of the display off by putting it to sleep, but there's no finer grain control than that..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Jiggy

Jiggy is on a distinguished road

And if you put it to sleep, there isn't an option to only respond to certain actions before it wakes up again? So that it not wakes up when someone accidentally touches the mouse for example?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I don't believe there is a way of controlling what the wakeup actions are..keyboard or mouse click..I have the iMac and wireless Magic Mouse and my iMac doesn't wake up until I click the mouse, just moving or touching the mouse doesn't wake it up..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Same here. I either have to press a key on the keyboard or click the mouse for the display to wake up. It works the same way on both my iMac and MB.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

ctrl+shift+eject

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Why not just set the power saving to put the iMac to sleep - never and turn off the display after 1 minute?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

As Mr Plow just said, a graphical respresentation:

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac spits out DVD | Help Needed ASAP! »