New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Ram Upgrade with Filevault?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ORNGLJ05

ORNGLJ05 is on a distinguished road

Okay I have a silly question, I'm running FileVault on my macmini3,1 and I'm going to upgrade my ram very soon. I wanted to know if FileVault would give me problems after a ram upgrade or would I have to turn it off before I go ahead with the upgrade.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

I dont think you should have any problem. As far as I know fire vault just encrypts some files on your HDD but has nothing to do with your RAM.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
ORNGLJ05

Hey thurstmw, thanks for the reply I feel better knowing that it wouldn't give me any problems upgrading the ram.

Take care
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As you've been told Filevault has nothing to do with updating the memory modules. You should, however, turn it off before you do any kind of maintenance or upgrading. (As a precaution.)

And a word of caution using Filevault: Unless you have some super secrets on your hard drive, I highly recommend that you not use it. There are too many horror stories (you can search here and in the Apple forums) of folks who lost all their data because they either forgot the password or Filevault developed a glitch.
QUOTE Thanks
ORNGLJ05

I just like the security I feel with running FileVault, other then that I really don't have anything I really want secured. I do have bank info and credit card statements.

So you think I should turn FileVault off before I upgrade the ram?

How long does it take to turn off FileVault?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Make sure you have good (and preferrably multiple) back ups if you run File Vault. You will not find a lot of support here for using it as the consequences of a failure can be catastrophic to your data.
Basically, as stated, if you have any kind of glitch or hitch ALL of your information will be nonrecoverable. Do yourself a favor and do a forum thread search and you will find instances of members having major problems even with having backups.

There are other (safer) and probably just as secure options, including using 1Password (good idea anyway) and encrypted disk images (secure but usually small enough to easily backup and make multiple copies).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNGLJ05 View Post
I just like the security I feel with running FileVault, other then that I really don't have anything I really want secured. I do have bank info and credit card statements.

So you think I should turn FileVault off before I upgrade the ram?

Thank you.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

And a word of caution using Filevault: Unless you have some super secrets on your hard drive, I highly recommend that you not use it. There are too many horror stories (you can search here and in the Apple forums)
And here is one. Peoples take on FV.

I felt the same as you being a new user and wanting that comfort. Believe me IT JUST ISNT WORTH THE HEADACHE.

10.7 Lion is meant to have made inroads to FV and the Mac security and it will be interested to see what they have done, but as Charlie has posted unless you have 'Secrect Squirrel stuff to hide, steer away or turn it off now while you can.

You will get to a certain point in the HD and you want be able to add any more (hard drive to full) error or you wont be able to turn off bc (HD too full) . . .

Please think seriously about it before you continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNGLJ05 View Post
How long does it take to turn off FileVault?
Depends on how much data is encrypted at this point.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Make sure you have good (and preferrably multiple) back ups if you run File Vault. You will not find a lot of support here for using it as the consequences of a failure can be catastrophic to your data.
Basically, as stated, if you have any kind of glitch or hitch ALL of your information will be nonrecoverable. Do yourself a favor and do a forum thread search and you will find instances of members having major problems even with having backups.

There are other (safer) and probably just as secure options, including using 1Password (good idea anyway) and encrypted disk images (secure but usually small enough to easily backup and make multiple copies).
And all it takes is 1 yes 1 corrupt file somewhere in your system, and your data will not be recoverable.

Unless you go through the man hours it took me to recover my system. An i only did what i did bc i could not find a answer on the web. . . . .

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I like to refer to that phenomenon as 'data vaulting'. It's secure alright. So secure you're not reading it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I like to refer to that phenomenon as 'data vaulting'. It's secure alright. So secure you're not reading it.
I know its not something  are outright proud of, but i seriously think they should put more of a warning out there for the switcher with it bc of this problem. When i looked for a answer and had to come up with my own, even from the response i got in my thread no-one knew anything about it.

Apple knew of the problem bc when i rang there hotline later they said the same as other "unrecoverable data" BUT didnt offer a solution

QUOTE Thanks
ORNGLJ05

Ok I just got done upgrading my ram from 4gb to 8gb with no issues with FileVault.

Reading more on FileVault and now thinking maybe I should turn it off. I turned it on yesterday so I'm not to deep into it. I don't really have anything I want to hide from the Feds haha! I'll just use Disk-Utility to encrypt my bank info/credit cards.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yeah good move. And FWIW, the Feds could get past FileVault

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ORNGLJ05

LOL! I'm pretty sure they can.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Well done. Good to see you heed the warnings. Now sit back and enjoy

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
ORNGLJ05

Thank you! It was a cool idea but my files are more important, and I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to fix it when it does crash.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro Upgrade advice | External HDD questions »