New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Buying a new 21.5 inch imac - Should I get i5 or i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrschmitt

mrschmitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram

I am going to be buying the higher end 21.5 inch iMac in the near future. I am wondering if it would be wise for me to upgrade to the i7 chip (2.7ghz i5 to the 2.8ghz i7)? I don't really buy a new computer very often, in fact my current iMac is a 2.1ghz PowerPC isight. I want to make sure that whatever I get, that it will be powerful enough to last me for years to come. We do a little bit of video editing and quite a bit of photo editing. I know that the video card is probably a bigger factor with this stuff, but I really don't want to move up to the 27inch. Is the i7 upgrade worth it? My only concern is that the i5 that is in this system is Sandy Bridge (brand new) technology and the i7 is last years technology.
Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

the i7 really gives you a boost while video editing, due to the hyper threading technology. Thing is, they are both great CPUs. you wont go wrong either way.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Always buy the most computer you can afford.

There is no such thing as "too much" of anything on your computer even if you never us it but there is such as thing as "too little" of anything when you need it.

QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Always buy the most computer you can afford.

There is no such thing as "too much" of anything on your computer even if you never us it but there is such as thing as "too little" of anything when you need it.
Great advice! I have been using that reasoning for years and haven't been disappointed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac running very slow | Where can I find cheap Power Macs (any type?) »