New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonfoy

simonfoy is on a distinguished road

I have just bought an Iomega 1.5TB Hard Drive

I have plugged it into the MAc and I can only get Read Only. I want to use this hard drive with BOTH my MAC and PC.

What do I need to do so I can put all the films stored on my MAC and make it readable on my PC too.

Thanks Simon
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

You need to make a temporary copy of everything currently on the hard drive,
Open up disk utility (from: applications folder, utilities, disk utility),
Select the Hard disk from the column on the left,
Click the erase tab,
Select "MS-DOS (FAT)" file system from the volume format box,
Click erase (you will now lose all data on the disk, hence backup)
The disk should now be useable on both Mac and Window
(that is if I have understood you query correctly).

Let us know how it goes,
Zigdog
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Just a note to say that if any of your files are over 4 gig then FAT32 will not be able to handle them

JUst in case any are that large, then you can enable writing to NTFS drives, since that;s what the drive is formatted as, using Macfuse

macfuse - The Easiest and Fastest Way to Create File Systems for Mac OS X - Google Project Hosting

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

Yes, of course.
Good point louishen!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If non of the files are over 4 gig, then do as Zigdog says

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
simonfoy

simonfoy is on a distinguished road

OK I did that and have backed up my Mac onto it. Here is now hoping it works on my PC too. Thank you all very much for the help, much obliged to you all x
QUOTE Thanks
Hibernia

Hibernia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ipad 64gb wifi , Itouch 32gb wifi , 2011 Imac 21"

If i may i'd like to tac on a separate HDD question.

On my new and first Imac i've yet to buy an external HDD for backups. I had my eyes on 2tb one but it's usb powered not mains powered.

For Timeslip purposes does that matter? Would i be best with one type or the other?

I'd hoped for the usb one as that would negate one more lead from my nice new tidy desk top
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As long as your machine provides sufficient power from its USB ports to operate the 2 TB drive, there should be no difference in using it for Time Machine backups.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what happend to you on friday the 13th... | 2011 21" iMac Matching Display »