New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

moving from a mini to an imac g5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

briang

briang is on a distinguished road

I ordered my imac today. What's the best way to make the move? the mini was my first mac, so i'm kind of new to it, but can i just drag and drop from a cloned copy of my mini? will that work for apps? what about mail?
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

iPod.

For me I all really wanted to save was my Movies, Music, and a few documents. Just enable Disk Use, drag files on to Mr. Pod there and you're good.

I hear .Mac's Back-Up thing is good too.

Anywho, iPod is the wasiest way in my opinion.

When you hook it up to the G5, just drag and drop the files into the correct files. I'll assume you know how to load songs onto iTunes.

If you need any other help with that, I've moved stuff alot back and forth between my computers. Just hit me with an IM on my .Mac account.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

that probably won't get the mail though. i'd like this to be as seamless as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

When you first start your new iMac, the Migration Assistant (starts either before or after you enter the registration info, can't remember exactly) will help you to transfer your data (everything that is in your Home-folder, which includes mails, addressbooks, bookmarks, settings, etc.) from the mini to the iMac.
All you will need is a Firewire cable and follow the instructions on the screen.

Very easy, as usual with Macs... :cool:

Any apps that did not come with your Mac mini need to be reinstalled though.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Any apps that did not come with your Mac mini need to be reinstalled though.
i can just drag and drop with that though, right?

btw, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
BEEEsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang

btw, thanks.
External hard-drives are good. Copy everything and then drag and drop.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang

btw, thanks.
Yes you can. Once your iMac finished the migration and registration, you can start the mini again in Target disk mode (hold T while booting, I think it gets unmounted after the migration tool has finished) and acces it's harddisk.
There you copy your apps from the Application folder to your Application folder on the iMac. You can also copy your Preferences folder (in your Home>Library), so you will have all the exact same settings for all your apps as you haid on the mini. I don't remember if the Migration Assistant does that already or not.
If you have apps that need activation (like for example Adobe CS2) you might need to reactivate it.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I just installed Tiger on a Powermac g4. I used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my Powerbook to the Powermac. It transfered all the folder I told it to, all the settings, and all my applications in my applications folder. It was very easy. All you need, as said above, is a firewire cable.

However, these cables can be very hard to find, as you need one with the large end on both ends. I went to 5 stores, until I eventually found a Best Buy that had one. However, it was not located in the computer section, it was actually by the camcorders.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

well, i'll try it out once i get the g5. thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

There's a program that updates all your stuff to your iPod, Mail, Entourage, etc. I think It's called iPod It. Check that... Might help you out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New, and have some really NEWBIE questions | Pro Mouse Problem »