New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Where can I find cheap Power Macs (any type?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Acrilyc

Acrilyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

I've been searching for a cheap ($65-125) Power Mac. Doesn't matter if it's G3, G4.. etc. But I've found one on craigslist and some on amazon. But I decided I'd come here for suggestions. I've looked into Gainsaver, but they seem very, "not so customer oriented." Unless you can share some recent experiences..

Just any sites you may now, pitch them. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Craig's List is your best option (no shipping). I've gotten various Powermac G4's for as little as $25-$30 (450-733mhz models). You can find them pretty cheap on e-Bay as well (occasionally)...but the shipping is what "kills" e-Bay deals.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

For best results with a G4 see if you can find a 1.42GHZ MDD, a 1.25GHz DP with Firewire 800. You will be able to run Leopard OS X.5.8 on either, the last operating system for G4's. You should have success within your price range.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Mac Specs: 13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Craig's List is your best option (no shipping). I've gotten various Powermac G4's for as little as $25-$30 (450-733mhz models). You can find them pretty cheap on e-Bay as well (occasionally)...but the shipping is what "kills" e-Bay deals.

- Nick
Yeah, I find some occasionally. But I live in a small hick town, most people around here don't even know what an Apple Computer is. But, every once a while I'll find one. I have found one G3 for 60 dollars but, no airport card. But ebay has those for cheaper. And as for ebay, you never know if the item is actually working like they say. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
For best results with a G4 see if you can find a 1.42GHZ MDD, a 1.25GHz DP with Firewire 800. You will be able to run Leopard OS X.5.8 on either, the last operating system for G4's. You should have success within your price range.
I would of coarse rather get the g4, and I think the price range is good as well, but I'd need to save a bit more cash to get up to the higher G4s. Which is fine, I'm just anxious. And I may even save up more and more to get a G5. All depends on what I find. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you don't mind me asking: why would you want a G3 or G4 Powermac? Can't you find one of the earliest Macbooks or Mac minis for around that price nowadays?
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
If you don't mind me asking: why would you want a G3 or G4 Powermac? Can't you find one of the earliest Macbooks or Mac minis for around that price nowadays?
I have enough laptops. And, I really want a Desktop Macintosh. I'd LOVE to have the G5 or.. Mac pro, but the Mac pro is out of the question. I'm also interested in the previous macs anyway, it'd be cool to have, and I'd use it. And I've found some G5's on Ebay for around 160.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As a suggestion if you go the G5 route, avoid the early 1.6 and 1.8GHz models, and also the 2.7 DP and 2.5GHz Dual Core as both these models are liquid cooled which did present some leakage problems. The 2.3GHz Dual Core was the best of the G5, but the problem will be finding one within your budget.

They came with faster memory and graphics, using PCI-E.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
As a suggestion if you go the G5 route, avoid the early 1.6 and 1.8GHz models, and also the 2.7 DP and 2.5GHz Dual Core as both these models are liquid cooled which did present some leakage problems. The 2.3GHz Dual Core was the best of the G5, but the problem will be finding one within your budget.

Really? I've never heard that. Hmm, I'll be cautious. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
I have enough laptops. And, I really want a Desktop Macintosh. I'd LOVE to have the G5 or.. Mac pro, but the Mac pro is out of the question. I'm also interested in the previous macs anyway, it'd be cool to have, and I'd use it. And I've found some G5's on Ebay for around 160.
So it's more of a collection thing than needing something to use?
In that case, good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Have you tried refuse tips ?

Amazing things can be picked-up there..

For Nothing !

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Ok, maybe not as cheap as ebay or clist (ok, definitely not as cheap) :

Shreve Systems 1-800-227-3971
Wegener Media Powerbook Parts & Service
New and Refurbished Apple / Mac Computers

I've done business with all three companies and can recommend them.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Ok, maybe not as cheap as ebay or clist (ok, definitely not as cheap) :

Shreve Systems 1-800-227-3971
Wegener Media Powerbook Parts & Service
New and Refurbished Apple / Mac Computers

I've done business with all three companies and can recommend them.
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
Have you tried refuse tips ?

Amazing things can be picked-up there..

For Nothing !
Refuse Tips? I googled them and nothing came up. Link please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
So it's more of a collection thing than needing something to use?
In that case, good luck!
Yep, pretty much. Haha, I mean, I'll use it, but not for my every day computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Acrilyc

Quote:

Sorry for the double post, but, I found this on ebay, and asked if it is water cooled. And nope! What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1160wt_1141

I also found this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Apple-PowerMac...ht_4342wt_1141
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Refuse Tips? I googled them and nothing came up. Link please?
Just a different term for trash bins or dumpsters.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but, I found this on ebay, and asked if it is water cooled. And nope! What do you think?
First link...didn't work.

Second link...too much $$$.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a new 21.5 inch imac - Should I get i5 or i7 | Power went out-how do I recover files?? »