New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

NVIDIA GT 6800 AGP Pro Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny is on a distinguished road

Does anybody know if this video card is compatible with my G4 1.25ghz MDD?

I'd like to upgrade from my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thread moved to more appropriate forum (Apple Desktops).

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dust Bunny

Thanks for moving the topic.

Why is my post being used to create links to other sites? And why would it be linking to Microsoft?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bunny View Post
Thanks for moving the topic.

Why is my post being used to create links to other sites? And why would it be linking to Microsoft?
I have no idea what you're talking about....other than...if you're seeing some sort of advertising...that's just Mac-Forums. Purchase a Mac-Forums Premium membership...and you won't see that.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Does anybody know if this video card is compatible with my G4 1.25ghz MDD?

I'd like to upgrade from my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro.
If you look at this list of video cards that came with Powermac G4's:

What graphics cards are provided by the Power Mac G4?

...it doesn't list the 6800...so it's probably not compatible. The "9000" that you mentioned is the best stock card. I think that there was a Radeon 9800 "aftermarket card" that would fit.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go for the 9800 it is streets faster than the 9000 and the GT6800 is only for G5 machines.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dust Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Go for the 9800 it is streets faster than the 9000 and the GT6800 is only for G5 machines.
Thanks. I'll look for that 9800.

Nick - The links were in my post after it was submitted and I have no idea how that happened. After is verified my post I viewed it and found that the word "upgrade" was blue highlighted so I clicked it. I was taken to some Microsoft site. When I went "back one page" on my browser the link was gone and another link appeared for the word "ATI"? It looked like my post was being edited and refreshed? Then the link just vanished. No big deal.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

As Nick pointed out, what you're seeing are forum ads. Clicking on any of the blue underlined items will do that. Normally, just hovering over them with your mouse will show an ad.
QUOTE Thanks
Dust Bunny

It looks like that 6800 will be incompatible for my G4 MDD. Looked far and wide for that 9800 and although I found a few for sale the price ranges were remarkable. One was $1200 on Amazon, but most were noted as "not in stock". At least I know what to look for now.

So, if I understand correctly the ads are inserted into one's post after it is submitted. I've never seen that before. In my most recent post the word "browser" is now a link for a WebX ad. Is this some sort of a program that edits posts with ad links? Never saw that before.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
It looks like that 6800 will be incompatible for my G4 MDD. Looked far and wide for that 9800 and although I found a few for sale the price ranges were remarkable.
You got to keep watching e-Bay. I purchased a 9800 video card for a Powermac G4 something like 5 years ago...and paid under $200 for it. But they were probably more commonly available then. Now they are probably much more rare...and with rarity...the price increases. But if you keep looking...you may find one that is more affordable.

You have to realize that you're trying to upgrade a very old computer...and that what you're going to pay for a 9800 video card is going to cost more than the whole computer is worth.

I will mention this. You can get a Powermac G5 (dual 1.8ghz cpu) for between $200-$250 on e-Bay. This computer will be MUCH faster than all stock Powermac G4's...including video performance. So unless you have a special reason to stay with your Powermac G4...it makes no sense to upgrade it...when you can get a better (Powermac G5) for the same price (or less) than what a 9800 video card will cost you.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM upgrade combinations? | help with configuration »